• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My c-64 is acting up

Computer Collector

Experienced Member
my c-64 was misbahaving yesterday. Ill have to have a long talk with it! Perhaps you guys can give me some parental advice. what would you do if your kid64 was like this?

first, I turned him on and when I was preessing the letter "o" he was displaying other characters, mainly "q". This was a problem because when I wanted to type "load" I ended up with lqad". I restarted him to fix his problem.

Then his screen was juming up and down like a little brat.

Finally, when I tryed to play "montezumas revenge" with this little tyke, he made the guy jump up and down even though I wasnt pressing the fire button! and the screen was jumping, too! I was in a damn kid circus!

I punished him by giving my love and care to my trs model 4 which behaved like the nicest and cutest little girl in the world!

Do you parents know what could have caused him to misbehave so bad?

Computer Collector said:
my c-64 was misbahaving yesterday. Ill have to have a long talk with it! Perhaps you guys can give me some parental advice. what would you do if your kid64 was like this?

first, I turned him on and when I was preessing the letter "o" he was displaying other characters, mainly "q". This was a problem because when I wanted to type "load" I ended up with lqad". I restarted him to fix his problem.

Then his screen was juming up and down like a little brat.

Finally, when I tryed to play "montezumas revenge" with this little tyke, he made the guy jump up and down even though I wasnt pressing the fire button! and the screen was jumping, too! I was in a damn kid circus!

I punished him by giving my love and care to my trs model 4 which behaved like the nicest and cutest little girl in the world!

Do you parents know what could have caused him to misbehave so bad?
Sounds like a stuck key, check em all, sometimes they can look fine, but the conductor pad can be stuck to the IC board.

With a bit of luck, you could find something useful here:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm.html

Ray is also rather helpful if you contact him, describing the various issues. When you say the screen jumped around, it sounds like a bigger problem than a stuck keyboard. Also if the joystick malfunctions, I would start to think about CIA, but I'm not very skilled in the repair bit, and there is a lot of other small components that could cause a fault. If Ray can't help you, you might try your luck on comp.sys.cbm and/or cbm-hackers mailing list, while waiting for someone to reply here.

Back