• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My collection and web site

I probably one of the earlier collectors of micros and vintage computer artifacts. It started in 1975 when I was asked to teach a programming class at the high school level. As a newbie, I had lots to learn and wanted to make it interesting. I had a Bendix G-15 in my classroom donated by the local Control Data plant and access to the MECC timeshare system. However, that was not enough to keep a class full of students busy and hands on! So, with the help of parents involved in the computer industry, I assembled a rather nice collection of functional computer equipment (card punch, card sorter, etc.) and lots of display pieces. Eventually, micros came on the scene and in 1978 I added a TRS-80, a couple SYM-1's, a Heath Kit system, and a classroom set of 24 Apple II's.

In 1982, I decided that starting a computer museum in Minnesota would be an interesting project. I worked with the Governor's office, the Science Museum, and Control Data on the idea. It sort got off the ground but then a political snag and some pressure from another museum start up effort cause the idea to die! In the process, however, I managed to collect quite a few artifacts and several micros. I joined MECC as a software designer from 1982-1999 when we shut down. During that time I became the recipient of many neat system from various vendors we supported (Apple, Atari, Acorn, Commodore, and IBM). I even managed to obtain 3 Apple 1's from various sources.

I have been working on a web site the past few years and have included a section showing a few of my computer artifacts and calculating devices. If you would like to take a look, the URL is: http://www.solomonson.net/Calculator3frameset.html

My two favorites on display there are a very Intel 8008 system and the 5th factory assembled Altair.

Wow.. just wow.

If you end up selling any of the duplicate machines, software, etc. keep us in mind! That's a hell of a collection - I was most impressed by the Intel 8008 machine.

Back