• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My Collection as of 1/28/23

BBISHOPPCM II

Been a member here for over a decade but I lost access to my account years ago! So I figured I'd jump back in under a new account. Here's a list of my machines as of right now:

-Apple IIGS
-Macintosh LC III
-Macintosh Classic
-Macintosh SE FDHD
-Macintosh iMac (Rev. B) "Bondi"
-Macintosh iBook "Blueberry"
-Macintosh iMac G5
-Macintosh PowerBook 160
-Macintosh PowerBook 170
-Macintosh PowerBook G4
-Toshiba T3200SX
-Toshiba Satellite 110CT
-Compaq Portable (Original)
-Compaq LTE 5400
-Compaq Contura 4/25
-Tandy 1000HX (original owner!)
-Tandy 4/25 Desktop (OEM'd by AST)
-IBM Thinkpad 355C
-Beige Box Pentium 233 Desktop PC
-Motion Computing M1400 Tablet PC

Everything in my collection is in perfect running condition, and as close to perfection as I can possibly get.
The one exception is the Contura, which is currently under restoration. If anyone needs help with any of these systems above, let me know! I'd be glad to lend a hand.

Nice collection, especially the portables. I do have questions:
-Macintosh Classic
How did you backup the hard drive? I'd like to have a backup... Can I image it onto ZIP disk or do I need to hook the drive up to a SCSI controller and clone it from there?

-Macintosh iMac (Rev. B) "Bondi"
Do these require a recap by now and is the PRAM battery the same as other macs? The CD drive also needs help ejecting disks, would you know what it is?
We were never an Apple household but I found one locally for cheap and I remember them using them at school

When backing up vintage SCSI macs, I used to use an external drive with a basic bootable OS, then just... drag and drop the contents of the drive into a folder on the external drive... Easy peasy. You'll need to use the startup disk selector tool (I forgot what it was called, but I believe it's in the system folder). I did all this on OS 6 to 7.5 systems back in the day. As for the Bondi iMacs, I have some thoughts on this. Age-wise, they're at the point where an MLB recap is inevitable... because you can get the MLB out without tearing into the high voltage section, it's not a big deal - however, recapping the analog board on one of these will be perilous, as the plastics are SO INCREDIBLY BRITTLE, I dread the day I have to do one.

Nice collection! I watched your video of the Contura restoration with interest, moreso as I have a 3/25 which has (to my knowledge) never had a capacitor replaced and it still doesnt stink when turned on ;) Also, I think I got lucky with the plastic as the hinges are still all tight! Battery is shot of course, and not sure how simple these are to rebuild? My only issue is the floppy drive, which seems to have a mind of it's own .. sometimes it works, somtimes it doesnt. Did you actually disassemble the (replacement) floppy drive on yours and if so, any tips?

Nice collection! I watched your video of the Contura restoration with interest, moreso as I have a 3/25 which has (to my knowledge) never had a capacitor replaced and it still doesnt stink when turned on ;) Also, I think I got lucky with the plastic as the hinges are still all tight! Battery is shot of course, and not sure how simple these are to rebuild? My only issue is the floppy drive, which seems to have a mind of it's own .. sometimes it works, somtimes it doesnt. Did you actually disassemble the (replacement) floppy drive on yours and if so, any tips?
I found a bad smt cap on the floppy drive - it’s a bear to replace, but should be done. I just cracked open an OEM Contura NiCad pack and plan on repacking it with new cells - it’s a straight-forward rebuild with no internal logic controls.

I found a bad smt cap on the floppy drive - it’s a bear to replace, but should be done. I just cracked open an OEM Contura NiCad pack and plan on repacking it with new cells - it’s a straight-forward rebuild with no internal logic controls.
I saw that you replaced the smt cap .. don't think thats my problem actually as I found out the floppy drive works fine if I wiggle the floppy with my fingernail after inserting it .. so likely something mechanical I guess. Let me know how you get on with the battery pack as I only have the original and am reluctant to crack it open until I am 100% certain I can replace the cells easily!

Back