• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My New Mark 8

8008guy

Veteran Member
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd share my new toy. I just got my Mark 8 going. I started this project a decade ago and just got around to deciding how to put it together. I have a few more things to finish up. I've posted some pictures and a video on my web site.

http://8008chron.com/MARK8/

len

Thanks guys!

I put off putting it together mainly because I didn't like how they were normally wired together. The job, life, family, a Cobra, a giant modular synth, pdp11, an apple 1, etc, got in the way... I think I recovered gracefully?

I think the Molex connectors was a good choice on a kit. It's much cleaner and as someone who doesn't own a Mark 8, I can't tell the real ones from the reproductions. I'm sure that's completely different for original Mark 8 owners. Did any real ones have Molex connectors?

Speaking of kits, is the Cobra an early real one or a replica or alive?

The original Mark 8 was only sold in either pcb sets, or just plans. It was up to the buyer to get the parts. I actually just got off the phone with Jon an hour ago. I asked him about his intentions on the back plane, or lack of one. At the time he designed the Mark 8 he was a poor grad student. He couldn't afford the connectors, so he just wired the boards together directly. The boards are actually laid out to accept the molex connectors tat I used, and it makes a much more maintainable machine.

The Cobra is a Kirkham, they are the builder of the current aluminum Shelby's. So yes, it's as real as you can get without the Shelby emblems, and the price tag...

Www.kobrabytes.com is where you can see pictures.

I think the Molex connectors was a good choice on a kit. It's much cleaner and as someone who doesn't own a Mark 8, I can't tell the real ones from the reproductions. I'm sure that's completely different for original Mark 8 owners. Did any real ones have Molex connectors?

Speaking of kits, is the Cobra an early real one or a replica or alive?

... I've posted some pictures and a video on my web site.

http://8008chron.com/MARK8/

len

Congratulations! That's a clean-looking unit. I optimized your 84-byte blinkin-lights demo down to 29 bytes for you, to make it easier to toggle in (see my recent youtube comment). It's untested, however, because I don't have access to any hardware on which to test it.

Cheers,

Mike B.

Hi Mike,

I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know how well it works.

I've just about got the new power supply wired up and the back of the chassis complete. I'll post more pictures this weekend.

Len

Congratulations! That's a clean-looking unit. I optimized your 84-byte blinkin-lights demo down to 29 bytes for you, to make it easier to toggle in (see my recent youtube comment). It's untested, however, because I don't have access to any hardware on which to test it.

Cheers,

Mike B.

Looks awesome... Is that a board set from the 70's or is it one of Stephen Gabaly's kits?

We need to keep promoting 8008 systems, they are a ton of fun...

Cheers,
Corey

Mike,

I posted the asm source at the bottom of the page on my web site. It "ain't" perdy... But it works. I compile with AS8. If you have updated code send it to me and I will test it out over the weekend.

len

Cheers,

Mike B.

... I compile with AS8. If you have updated code send it to me and I will test it out over the weekend.

Assembler? I ain't got no assembler. I don't need no stinking assembler! ;)

Code:
        org 0
start:  lci arraz-array ; array index for display
again:  lhi 017         ; high half of delay counter
delay:  dcl
        jfz delay       ; nested delay loop
        dch
        jfz delay       ; outer delay loop
        lac             ; load index
        adi array-1     ; add address offset
        lla             ; prepare for load
        lam             ; load value to display