• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My saga of building and troubleshooting an Apple II Plus from scratch

retrogear

Veteran Member
This all started with a collection of parts I received in the 90's from a retired high school electronics teacher. Included was a nice shiny Apple II+ motherboard in an opened original box. Something is very wrong in this photo. Can you see it?
I did not see the problem when I took this picture. No cheating if you saw this on the Apple II Enthusiasts FaceBook page:
A2Plus_MB.jpg

So here's all the pieces I purchased separately on Ebay except the motherboard:
A2plus_pieces.jpg
I assembled them, turned it on and got this lovely screenshot:
bad_rom.jpg
I noticed the fine vertical lines and remembered helping Gary2000 finding a bad video rom in his IIe, so I looked at the character generator rom and ... dang !!!
video_rom.jpg
The Vcc and Vss are opposite pins diagonally so this put reverse polarity power to the char gen rom so it was fried ...

I removed the character generator rom which removed the lines but brought me back to this:
bad_a2p.jpg
Now I had the beep at power on or reset but typing random keys and pressing enter would not give me a syntax beep.
With beep on reset, I knew the 6502 and ROM were good, executing the reset routine. However, the keyboard input buffer is at $200 in the 1st 16k of memory
so I rotated the three 16k rows of memory up or down a row and noticed the 1st row a couple chips seemed loose, not seated very well. Now it was responding to commands !!
HGR got me this:
hgr.jpg
TEXT and HOME produced this (I saw the cursor block move to the top for HOME)
home.jpg
So I ordered a char gen ROM and a couple 4116 ram chips just in case. I put in the new ROM and I got the lovely APPLE II and ] !!!
I went into the monitor and filled $800 to $BFFF with $FF and noticed the $4000-8000 was returning $DF. I booted AppleCillin and the
memory test of the 2nd 16K bank gave me a screen full of ERROR = $20. I noticed both involved the same bit which turned out to be a bad chip third from the right in the middle row.
I put in the chip and now memory passed. I ordered a 16k memory card and added it:
16k_expander.jpg
I booted into Integer Basic and ran Kaleidoscope but noticed I still had vertical stripes:
Kaleidoscope2.jpg
Now my text characters are good but graphics had the stripes. I noticed in SAMS CC1 p37 that UB4 and UB9 are shift registers that clock out the graphics data.
Since they were identical part#'s I exchanged them and now it's good !! They must have just needed reseating. Now I have a Videx card on order to install next ...

Fun stuff !!!

Larry G

I realize now in this progression, when a beep can be generated at power on, it is a big clue that all address and data lines are functioning because the beep tone is actually
a program being executed in rom by the processor. Anything shorting a bit on the address or data lines (such as shorted ram?) would prevent the program from running.
However on the IIe, the MMU isolates the memory address lines ...

Larry G

Last edited:
Back