• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My small collection

Ok, another quick update:

Commodore Amiga 500 + FDD + HDD + cables, power adapter, etc...
Amstrad CPC464 + original monitor and cables
Atari 520 STm boxed with everything it needs
Apple IIci + monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables
Apple Macintosh LC + keyboard, mouse, cables - using the monitor from the IIci

Soon I'll be getting a Canon NoteJet - I'm not really into 386+ machines, but this one is a bit more special with it's internal printer and a couple of other peculiarities. I'll get back with details as soon as I get it [and find a little time to fiddle with it].

Have you played around with the Amstrad? What did you think of it?

I've just scanned a magazine where it's reviewed. Amstrad were looking to grab 20% of the home computer market in New Zealand with this machine. I don't think they got anywhere near that.

Tez

Have you played around with the Amstrad? What did you think of it?

I've just scanned a magazine where it's reviewed. Amstrad were looking to grab 20% of the home computer market in New Zealand with this machine. I don't think they got anywhere near that.
I had a one of those when I was a kid, back in the UK. In fact I had that exact game pictured on the cover of the magazine you scanned... Roland in the Caves, IIRC. We only had the green screen monitor though. There was a (I think pretty beefy) TV modulator for it too though.

Great little machine and good software support. A lot of games around that time were released for the Spectrum, C64 and CPC-464 pretty much simultaneously - at least they were on Amstrad's home turf. I must've spend thousands of hours programming BASIC on the thing. The built in tape deck was great - no farting around with leads or volume levels. Our unit had some kind of DIN plug mod so you could still copy tapes to other decks. It got given away to family in the end - I really ought to see if they kept it!

I ALMOST snagged one of these. It came up (in working condition with screen) on our TRADEME auction site about 9 months ago. It was $1 reserve, and no one bid on it but me and I won the auction.

Post auction things didn't go so well though. It was a pickup, but only 50 mins drive from me. The seller kept stalling and wouldn't give me her home adress so I could pick it up. Suddenly her account disappeared from the auction site.

I don't know what went on, but I suspect she was disappointed it only sold for a dollar and bailed out. It hasn't appeared again.

Tez

I've only played around with the Amstrad for a couple of hours. It looks great and works perfectly.
I also received 13 tapes with games and my only problem with the machine is that my monitor is monochrome :D
It's a great machine, well built, the tape drive works great after all this time and it was kept in perfect shape. Also, the GT65 monitor is very nice. But the power supply in the monitor is a bit weird. I don't usually keep the monitors, but at least this one is small.

All in all, I really like it. It works great, looks nice and is well built. Good deal for 5 bucks :)

I also received 13 tapes with games and my only problem with the machine is that my monitor is monochrome :D
I read on wikipedia that the video output (RGB) can be hooked up to a SCART TV, if that's any help.

But the power supply in the monitor is a bit weird.
Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Shouldn't be too hard to sort out a replacement power supply though if you want to use a different display.

I've heard about the SCART idea, I might try that. But for now, I really like the little monitor, even though it's monochrome. :D

I've received the Canon NoteJet. Interesting little toy, but the printer lights up the Error LED and I have to stop it before I can take out the paper. I'll have to look into it. Other than that, it works like a charm. The only thing that bothers me is the HDD which is weird. It's 2.5" but shorter, so I can't replace it. The original one has a few bad blocks.

Back