• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mysterious Mac Classic II analog board component

CarterSchmelz61

So I'm recapping a Mac Classic II analog board, and I removed a damaged component that I don't recognize. The board is a 630-0525 type board, and the component I removed is at location LP 4.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_2266.HEIC.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2267.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_2267.HEIC.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2268.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_2268.HEIC.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
So I'm recapping a Mac Classic II analog board, and I removed a damaged component that I don't recognize. The board is a 630-0525 type board, and the component I removed is at location LP 4.
That's an inductor, the "L" prefix denotes an inductor, P may indicate its use in a power circuit.

Do you know what type/value?
I don't. But its value is likely not going to be altered too much by straightening out the very ends of the leads and reinstalling it. Its just a coil of enameled wire wound on a ferrite core, so you can rework them a little without consequences. Also, get yourself a RLC meter - they are super cheap these days and you can measure the value directly. Under the heat shrink tubing it will look something like...

Fixed-Inductors-1mh-0-17A-RF-Choke-10mh-5-Radial-Filter-Through-Hole-Inductor-Axial-Drum-Radial-Leaded-Power-Inductor.jpg

So you can see its pretty much just bending the wire back to shape and removing enamel from the very ends of the leads to make it solderable.

-- Bob

So I'm recapping a Mac Classic II analog board, and I removed a damaged component that I don't recognize.
Sorry for the question, but how do you know it's even damaged? That inductor is most likely totally fine, as these can't really fail (unless the ferrit core lit. breaks).

Sorry for the question, but how do you know it's even damaged? That inductor is most likely totally fine, as these can't really fail (unless the ferrit core lit. breaks).
I don't think it's broken, but the ends have some corrosion from the bad capacitors. Could I just cut the ends of the leads off and reuse it?

Back