• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mystery Device

Cyrm

I am unsure of what this hardware is. I found it amoungst some stuff my dad left. On the box it has the generic warning about static charge. And MOS DEVICES ENCLOSED.....I am unsure of what an MOS device is.

Inside the box, there is a 20 pronged chip, all black roughly 1.5 inches long. On it is written:
AM1 8143HM
C04090
DC319 KOREA
21-17312-00

Also, on the box are two written things and one printe, they are as follows:
DCT11AA
DC319AA
9905812-00
---------------------------------------------------------
That is pretty much all the information I can provide on this little question. I am hoping someone here will know. I am very curious as to what it is. thank you for any help you can offer. :shock:

Re: Mystery Device

Cyrm said:
I am unsure of what this hardware is. I found it amoungst some stuff my dad left. On the box it has the generic warning about static charge. And MOS DEVICES ENCLOSED.....I am unsure of what an MOS device is.

Metal Oxide Semiconductor -- Refers to the technology used to manufacture pretty much all silicon-based electronic components. The chips come in 3 flavors, negative (NMOS), positive (PMOS), and complimentary (CMOS), which can be both negatively- and positively-charged. Here's a link to google's definition page, but it's probably not much help.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-03,GGLD:en&q=define:mos
Inside the box, there is a 20 pronged chip, all black roughly 1.5 inches long.

Dude, we need more information. What kind of box is this? (Material, dimensions, etc.). Do you mean the cardboard box it was shipped in? Is this a loose chip, or is it mounted on a circuit board? A picture would certainly help here.
On it is written:
AM1 8143HM
C04090
DC319 KOREA
21-17312-00
Are you sure it says "AM1", or could it possibly be AMI, which would indicate it was made by American Megatrends? (Might help to track it down).
Also, on the box are two written things and one printe, they are as follows:
DCT11AA
DC319AA
9905812-00
---------------------------------------------------------
That is pretty much all the information I can provide on this little question. I am hoping someone here will know. I am very curious as to what it is. thank you for any help you can offer. :shock:
Try and get back with additional info, pls...

--T

Cyrm said:
http://pictures.greatestjournal.com/userimg/3328166/141807
http://pictures.greatestjournal.com/userimg/3328171/141807
http://pictures.greatestjournal.com/userimg/3328167/141807

Here are three iamges....one of the box the other of the chip. The box is 4.25" x 4.25". The black material is a course styrofoam. The chip is loose, not in any board. And I am unsure whether it is a "1" or an "I" basicallary it looks like AM| and is hard to tell.

Very blury but from the shape i'd say it ether a CPU 8088 maybe dunno
look for a intel copyright round 77,78

but if it has a AMI as terry said thats american megatrends
a bios maker but they also make keyboard conrtollers/encoders
that was about that shape. it could very well be one of those however
95% of the boards i've seen had the KB controller solidered in not socketed.

If it turns out to be a KB controller then it's not really use full for anything
because they almost never fail and unless you have a board missing it's
then really nothing to do with it except put it on display maybe.

it can be really hard tracking down IC numbers even with google unless
you have a really good idea what it is already.

If it turns out to be a intel 8088 might make a nice conversation starter.

EDIT:
After posting i did some checking and found that AMI did make a few microprocessors
However i could not find anything on "8143HM"

re Mystery Chip

re Mystery Chip

I think it may go back further than you are looking. In the 1960s and 70s AMI meant American Microsystems Inc. and they were a major chip supplier, including MOS devices and TTL. The letters listed as DTC and something else may indicateit is a UART, because DTC in the RS232C spec refer to a DTC meaning DataTerminal Connection, There is another three letter designatioin for the other end of the line and I think it is DTR but i"m not sure. I can find out but I have to dig in my garage for the old Bell Systems Tech Manuals. Anyway, the first three or four makers of the original UART were Natiooal Semiconductor, General Instrument Corp,, AMI and Signetics. The original design required two chips, one for transmit and one for receive.
Ray

re mystery device

re mystery device

Not necessarily, if it is a very early one which took a a sepaerate package for each function, and from the look of the box it came in, it is probably a manufacturers sample. It took two chips at first because the technology of the day couldn't. handle alll the junctions required. Later on, suppliers still made one model that gave the designer the "luxury" of having only a receiver or a transmiter in those products that didn't require both. Look at some old product manuals from Western Digital, Signetics Texas Inst. and Motolola.
Oh yeah, one of the numbers he shows is a 40xx, (I cant recall the last two digits)which might be a Motorola CMOS devce number.All of their CMOS chips had 4xxx numbers, even the simple logic functions equivilant to the 74xx TTL IC's' One more thing. It might be a keyboard encoder, a video generator, a character generator, a floppy disk controller or who knows what else. I have a dozen or more devices that I can no longer identify because the markings are worn off.
Ray

DC319AA

DC319AA

The DC319AA is a serial port chip made for Digital Equipment Corp.
Sometimes called a DLART for DL comptaible asynchronous receiver/transmitter. The part was made by AMI for DEC. I have a datasheet for the part.

Hello,sir

Hello,sir

The DC319AA is a serial port chip made for Digital Equipment Corp.
Sometimes called a DLART for DL comptaible asynchronous receiver/transmitter. The part was made by AMI for DEC. I have a datasheet for the part.

Could u send me a datasheet for the part ? very thanks!

jackywu163@hotmail.com

Back