• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mystery Sinclair "US 2000" power supply?

AdamAnt316

Experienced Member
Hello everyone. I was at the famed MIT Swapfest this past weekend, hanging out with a friend who was set up to sell. On his table, he had an odd-looking power supply which caught my eye. It had a weird angular look to it, and further inspection revealed the "Sinclair" logo molded into the top. I asked him where he'd gotten it, and he had no idea, but gave it to me. Here are some photos of the power supply in question, including the bottom label and the weird three pin output connector:
sinclairps1.jpg
sinclairps2.jpg
sinclairps3.jpg
The bottom label shown above includes the name "US 2000" along with the various voltage/current ratings, and trying to look for a "sinclair us 2000 power supply" on Google yielded nothing in the way of relevant results. More generic searching yielded this video discussing the various power supplies meant for use with the different versions of the Spectrum computer, with the supply I have visually resembling the one meant for the Sinclair 128K, though the output connector seems to be entirely different. To the best of my knowledge, the Spectrum wasn't directly sold in the US unless you count the ill-fated Timex-Sinclair 2068, and what few photos I've found of the power supply meant for that look nothing like what I've got, and apparently they used an entirely different type of power input than the regular Spectrums, employing a generic-looking 'DVE' supply outputting 15VDC through a barrel connector, and an internal circuit which did the rest. Here's a photo of one borrowed from the internet:
Timex+2068+power+supply.jpg
My question here is, exactly what might I have here? Am I mistaken, and was the Sinclair Spectrum sold on this side of the pond in something resembling its native-branded form? Could this have been meant for an intended launch of the later Spectrum models here in the US which never happened? Or could it have been meant for an entirely different application? Inquiring minds want to know...
-Adam

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I did some more research, and according to this page, the Sinclair QL was indeed sold in the United States, albeit on a rather limited basis, and in modified form (added shielding, DB-9 serial connectors replacing the proprietary originals, etc.). Now I can only wonder what happened to the QL which went with this power supply... :unsure:
-Adam

The ZX Spectrum and Timex 2068 both had a barrel connector type plug and therefore wouldn't work with anything like your mystery psu. (Your "DVE" supply picture is a typical model sold with those machines.)

I think mdog69 is probably right, even though I've never seen this psu before. I do know that Sinclair QLs were imported and sold in the USA by Zebra Systems. They were one of the biggest Timex/Sincliar support companies during and after Timex's entry into market. All manner of Sinclair and Portugal's Timex Computer Corp. products were imported/distributed by them. If memory serves, the spectrum was included in their catalogs.

So, while I can't swear to it, I can say it seems very probable to me this is a US version of the QL's psu.

Again, thanks for the reply. I have sent some info links to my friend so he can keep an eye out whenever he goes back to the place where he found the power supply. I'm not sure how common these US-spec QLs are, but it'd be nice to have one for my collection.
-Adam

Back