• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Name a good wordprocessor that runs off floppy

Haemogoblin

Experienced Member
I'm playing around with an Amstrad PPC512 and I've been using the stock software. It's not bad, but very limiting and was wondering if anyone could recommend anything else. My first thought was Wordstar, but I want something I can transfer to a modern PC and read with ease. I used to have a Wordstar converter, but I don't seem able to find it.

For text editing, there is a nice little shareware text editor called "Useful Editor".

A nice fast word processor for DOS with a great spell checker is "Professional Write" 2.x. Might be a tad large for floppy disk, depending on what size floppy.

Sadly the PPC range came with 720kb drives. Old Alan Sugar was never one to let usability get in the way of saving a few quid. Who needs 1.44mbs on a computer that doesn't come equipped with a hard drive? lol

Lapwrite was specifically designed to run on a 720K floppy.

http://www.wordstar.org/index.php/11-wordstar-file-conversion/107-habit-wordstar-converter is a Wordstar converter that runs under Windows.

The WordPerfect subset offered as Letter Perfect could run on a 720K floppy but there won't be much room left over for files so you will need two drives.

There would be a lot of early word processors that could work but some lack spell checkers and many had default file formats that nothing recent can read. I think for ease of file transfer, it might be better sticking with a standard text editor and doing formatting and revising on the modern system.

Luckily the PPC512 has two 720kb floppy drives, the stock word processor that shipped with the system is rudimentary and doesn't even give you the open to save to another drive. So it's saving constantly to my backup boot disk.

Back