• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NCR System V/386 4.0 Release 3.0

wesleyfurr

Veteran Member
I recently acquired a pair of very unique looking machines...AT&T 3430 servers. I can only assume these were produced around the time when AT&T and NCR merged or something (haven't researched that timeline and even wikipedia seemed a little vague) as they say AT&T on the front and "NCR an AT&T Company" on the back. Anyway...finally got around to checking them out this evening. The person I got them from said they turned on one of them and Windows NT booted up. The first one I tried powered on but didn't POST. Fortunately I even have another motherboard and three CPU boards, one still in the box! Will work on that some other time. But more to the point of this post, the other boots into Unix.

Before I go playing further and flushing things to try installing Windows NT, etc., is there anything of interest OS-wise that might be on this machine? I obviously don't want to go imaging anything in case any user data is still present, but if there are any Unix OS files or such that might be useful for preservation, I don't want to dump them. And if I at some point wanted to try doing something with this same version of Unix, is there any place I can find the install media to re-load it from scratch? I need to go through the other items I was given, but pretty sure I only have a system manual, no disks, etc. I did do a quick bit of googling, but wasn't coming up with anything.

Thanks,

Wesley

Back