• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ND-Satellite/9 - trying to get life in it.

tingo

Veteran Member
I connected a terminal (ND 320 aka Tandberg TDV 2200) to the console port using a current loop cable (yes, ND minimachines used 20mA current loop as their terminal link. They could use V.24 also, but this was less common). I turned on the terminal, then the machine. The machine powered up, and the power and OPCOM lamps lit up. I also got a # (the OPCOM prompt) character on the console. However, nothing more happened. Pressing OPERATE + LOAD on the front panel. didn't make anything happen either. However, OPERATE + MCL (master clear) gave another # on the console, so at least something was working. Ok, time to break out the SINTRAN III floppies. I inserted floppy number 1, closed the door, and wrote 1560& on the console. This loads from the floppy (sort of the boot program). This made the OPCOM lamp turn off and the RUN lamp turn on. A good sign. After a moment or two, I got text on the console too:
Code:
MACM-1718-M
SEPT. 4, 1984

INITALIZED FOR:
 DISC-21MB-1, DISC-14MB-1

REMEMBER THE MACM COMMANDS:

)REDEF => REDEFINE DISC TYPE
)HENT   => GET SINTRAN FROM SAVE-AREA
22!        => START SINTRAN
10,0$    => LOAD SINTRAN FROM DISKETTE

TYPE ANY MACM COMMAND:
Unfortunately, my luck stops here. Trying )HENT + ENTER (which tries to load SINTRAN from the winchester disk), gives this:
Code:
% **** ERROR AT: 000001 **** WRITE ERROR
STATUS= 010131  -  BLOCK ADR.= 000002

Too bad, it seems the hard drive (winchester) doesn't want to cooperate. Ok, lets, try to load SINTRAN from the floppy then:
Code:
10,0$
it starts to load, I get lots of lines like
Code:
% **** ERROR AT: 000000 **** ILL. CHARACTER
, and the final line is:
Code:
% **** ERROR AT: 000000 **** I/O ERROR
Ok, so either the floppy, the floppy drive or both are bad too.

Back