• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NEC APC IV Powermate 1, question about CPU speed

raifield

Experienced Member
A friend's attic-cleaning resulted in my receiving a NEC Powermate 1 in really good shape. I do have one question about it that I'm hoping someone has an answer to: The front panel of the machine has three LEDs, one for Power, one for disk activity, and one labeled '10Mhz', which I can only assume lights up when the CPU is running at that speed.

The installed CPU is a 10Mhz 80286, but the system's BIOS setup has the CPU speed listed as 8Mhz under "System Board Switch Settings". Stason has the motherboard listed, but has nothing on modifying the CPU's speed. I've played around with the motherboard switches listed as "Factory Set" on Stason, but to no apparent effect.

Searching this forum suggests that the Powermate 1 was sold in two versions: a 8Mhz/640k version and a 10Mhz/1MB version. I certainly wouldn't put it past the company to simply re-use the same case for the two systems, but I can't shake the feeling that there may be some way to "push" the 10Mhz CPU into operating at 10Mhz.

Unfortunately I have no manuals, just a Powermate demonstration package with 5.25" disks that I can't read.

It doesn't seem to be a very widespread system, I'll take some pictures tomorrow and put them up if anyone is interested.

I know this is an old thread, but try [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[-]. The - on the numeric keypad. That is the hardware level for switching CPU speed. The 8MHz system only had the POWER and DISK lights. Hope it helps if anyone has this system.

Back