• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NEC Pinwriter P7; Questions?

Frankie

Experienced Member
Yesterday I picked up a NEC Pinwriter P7 printer to replace my Epson LQ-850. It works but I'm having some problems with the way it functions. Is it normal for the printer to stop & go like this? http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/21/804535/Temporary/Mvc-697v.mpg

My old printer doesn't do that. I'm wondering if it's because this printer wasn't really made to print under graphic mode since it was made in 1986. I've already checked the dip switches and also have the proper driver installed.

Frankie,

Alright...

This printer has a Bidirectional Tractor Feeder installed, and I never used one before. How exactly the paper is supposed to be loaded? If I thread the paper through printer, and load it to the sprockets, half the paper is passed the printhead.

Printer.jpg

Is this correct?

I guess so. You always use the first page, because it is tractor pull. Not too big an issue, as you have 999 pages left then :)

Should I replace the ribbon? The printer looks like it's been sitting un-used for about ten years. I'm not sure if I'm risking damaging the printhead by continuing using the old ribbon even tho it still works...

You should line the top of the 2nd sheet up with the printhead (there may be some kind of mark on the printer). You'll lose the first sheet.

Stopping/pausing while printing (especially bidirectional graphics) is not unusual with vintage printers.

If the ribbon is not severely worn, it should be ok (hold it to the light to judge wear & tear). If it's in good shape, it can prob'ly even be re-inked a couple times.

--T

I'm going to have to get a brand new ribbon for this printer parts of it are worn out. Normally I always get a genuine brand ribbon made by the same company, but NEC has stopped making parts for there legacy printers. So I'm going to have to buy a generic brand ribbon.

Last edited:
Back