• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Apple ProDos 1.1.1 for Apple IIc Computer

Dawgchyper91

I recently picked up a Apple IIc Computer for dirt cheap today, and sadly it didnt come with the original DOS 5 1/4 disk to boot the computer. The only disk that it came with was a game disk that has moon patrol and others, and whenever I boot that disk the screen pops up saying basically it needs a DOS disk to be inserted first then I can insert the game. If anyone has the Apple Prodos that originally came with this computer or know of anywhere I can find one please let me know :) I was really excited to pick this up, but sadly was disappointed due to the fact it didnt come with the DOS boot disks. Thank you all very much!

Clint

Thank you david for the link. I will look into that and see if I can successfully make one :) But I still like to have the original floppy haha. But ill definately look into that and see where I can go from there. Thank you

I actually saw your video David and it is very informative. I actually have a new box full of 5 1/4 so this will definately work! Ill send you a message letting you know how it went if that is ok?

So all I do dave is get the serial cable and download the program? Do I need that serial card thing or was that just for the apple iie? I saw that you had the cable for sale and will purchase that. So I download the adtpro on my home computer and hook up the serial cable from mine to the apple iic and then go from there? Thank you dave!

Take a look at the connections page, and go down to the IIc section. You don't need a SSC card, since the IIc has serial ports already built in:
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/connectionsserial.html#DIN5
You need the DIN5-to-DE-9 cable for starters. Then, you need a way to get that female DE-9 plugged into the back of your modern computer. It'll likely need a USB-to-serial adapter if the computer was made in the past 5 years or so:
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/connectionsserial.html#USB_cabling
If you have a PC, any old $5 USB-serial dongle on eBay will do. The same isn't quite as true for Mac, I've found.

Then you're ready for software. Download the server from Sourceforge and get it installed, and you should be ready to go. If you have specific questions on the setup for ADTPro, you're probably better off going to the forum over there:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/adtpro/

I recently picked up a Apple IIc Computer for dirt cheap today, and sadly it didnt come with the original DOS 5 1/4 disk to boot the computer. The only disk that it came with was a game disk that has moon patrol and others, and whenever I boot that disk the screen pops up saying basically it needs a DOS disk to be inserted first then I can insert the game. If anyone has the Apple Prodos that originally came with this computer or know of anywhere I can find one please let me know :) I was really excited to pick this up, but sadly was disappointed due to the fact it didnt come with the DOS boot disks. Thank you all very much!
I don't remember if moonpatrol was a single load or full disk game. If it's a full disk game, you should not need DOS; it should be self booting. If it's a single load, I am generally certain it's a DOS 3.3 title so a ProDOS disk won't do dittly squat for you.

Yeah there are three other games that come on the disk. What disk would I need? It just says on the screen after the drive is reading says "This disk has no DOS to boot. Insert another disk and press a key to reboot.

Hi Clint - If you would like, I can make a DOS boot disk for you & send it to you - just send me your address via private message here or via my website (www.Apple2Online.com) and I'll get one off to you.

If you need a DOS boot disk, you can still go down the bootstrapping route, but bootstrap to DOS instead of ProDOS:
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/bootstrap.html#Bootstrapping_DOS

Hi David,

That was an amazingly well done video tutorial on your application!

I have a question... I have a //c+ and I'd like to use this software and the disk images to create a boot floppy for it. I do not have an Apple 5.25" drive, so I'm stuck using the built-in 3.5". Does it matter if I'm using the images on an 800k floppy disk, or do I need to find images specific for 800k disks?

Stock DOS 3.3 does NOT support 800k drives. There are 3rd party DOS that does, but it's unlikely you can decompress a 140k image onto 800k drive. Considering that bulk of 8 bit II software were shipped on 140k floppies, it may be wise to just get a 5.25" drive.

Hi David,

That was an amazingly well done video tutorial on your application!
Thanks! It's been a fun project, and it just seems to keep going.
I have a question... I have a //c+ and I'd like to use this software and the disk images to create a boot floppy for it. I do not have an Apple 5.25" drive, so I'm stuck using the built-in 3.5". Does it matter if I'm using the images on an 800k floppy disk, or do I need to find images specific for 800k disks?
ADTPro has an 800k image that you can use to bootstrap and transfer to the 3.5" disk. But as dorkbert mentions, there's not a lot of software out there archived for the pre-GS Apples on 800k disks.

Thanks! It's been a fun project, and it just seems to keep going.

ADTPro has an 800k image that you can use to bootstrap and transfer to the 3.5" disk. But as dorkbert mentions, there's not a lot of software out there archived for the pre-GS Apples on 800k disks.

That's good to know! I'll use the 800k image so that I can boot directly from the built in drive, but I am buying an external drive to transfer any other software.

That's a good idea. Your 3.5" drive is faster and quieter than the 5.25".

Question... Does the ADTPro format facility support 800k drives? I ask this because I just got done bootstrapping ProDOS and ADTPro and when I attempted to format a blank 3.5" floppy disk (selecting 5,1, 1600 blocks), I get a message that says "Check disk or drive door!". Could it just be that the drive in my //c+ is busted? :(

Question... Does the ADTPro format facility support 800k drives? I ask this because I just got done bootstrapping ProDOS and ADTPro and when I attempted to format a blank 3.5" floppy disk (selecting 5,1, 1600 blocks), I get a message that says "Check disk or drive door!". Could it just be that the drive in my //c+ is busted? :(

I'm beginning to suspect the drive in my //c+ is bad. I managed to locate a known good 3.5" ProDOS formatted floppy disk but the ADTPro volumes facility scan renders an I/O ERROR as if it were not formatted. sigh

UPDATE: Yup, looks like the built-in drive is bad... I happen to have an external Apple 3.5" drive I used with my IIgs back in the day, and I'm able to read disks from it.

Last edited:
Question... Does the ADTPro format facility support 800k drives?
Yep, anything that ProDOS sees, ADTPro can format. ProFILEs, CFIDE drives, you name it.

Sorry to hear about the internal IIc+ drive. You might just pull it out and clean it up - the heads might just be dirty.

Back