• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help fixing a Xerox 286 Compact

barbadil

Hi.

First sorry for my bad english.

I have a Xerox 286 Compact in the garage that I'm trying to switch on but ther is no way. The battery is empty so the CMOS setup is lost. Im triying to enter to the setup menu but I can't find the correct keystroke. I try:
Ctrl+Alt+Esc
Ctrl+Alt+Insert
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Ctrl+Alt+A
Ctrl+Alt+S
All the FX (F1,F2...)
AvPg

Here is a photo of the bios version and the errors I get.
286-i.jpg

Also I Googled to get information about the correct keystokes for this model but I can't find nothing, neither something about this model, maybe I search with wrong words.
Is this a rare computer? A clone?

Some pics from the PC.
For more info, in the mobo I can read Normerel carte mono286-2. In the ram modules says Normerel 100Nm.
286-a.jpg286-0.jpg286-b.jpg286-c.jpg

Hope someone can help me

I would think that 286s with firmware setups are rare. Yes that thing is rare (maybe not even seen here in the US). Why do you assume you don't need a setup disk? You could be right I guess. That's a fairly late model 286 w/onboard VGA. That monitor resembles early NEC Multisyncs.

In the late 80s, Xerox computers were manufactured by Olivetti. I don't remember an Olivetti system that looked exactly like the Xerox Compact. If you can't find a better lead, try an Olivetti 286 setup disk.

No, I don't know the differences between the Olivetti systems given AT&T logos versus the Olivetti systems given Xerox logos.

I would think that 286s with firmware setups are rare. Yes that thing is rare (maybe not even seen here in the US). Why do you assume you don't need a setup disk? You could be right I guess. That's a fairly late model 286 w/onboard VGA. That monitor resembles early NEC Multisyncs.

The Tandon LT/286 I used to have had a BIOS setup menu with battery-backed CMOS RAM.

I dont know why I only assume the keystroke option, I forgot the setup disk choice.

I will try some setup disk.
Can I break something if I use the incorrect?

Thanks for the replies!

I have some progress. I used GSetup, as sugested Stone 2 messages above, with MsDos 3.30 boot disk. Now Im able to change CMOS parameters.

Thanks to all for helping!

Just a thought, have you opened it and looked at the battery, you might want to get it out of there before it explodes and ruins some equipment.

Just a thought, have you opened it and looked at the battery, you might want to get it out of there before it explodes and ruins some equipment.
Have *you* looked? He posted a pic of it. :)

FWIW, batteries leak -- they don't explode.

Furthermore, this is a lithium battery and it's the NiCADs that leak.

I'm old and I don't see very well, but I have seen a computer with a NICAD where the battery exploded and ruined the mother board, stop being so grumpy to me please!

The battery is out. But I dont understand why the options I select arent ereased when reboots.

In the late 80s, Xerox computers were manufactured by Olivetti. I don't remember an Olivetti system that looked exactly like the Xerox Compact. If you can't find a better lead, try an Olivetti 286 setup disk.

No, I don't know the differences between the Olivetti systems given AT&T logos versus the Olivetti systems given Xerox logos.

Hello, this Xerox is not an Olivetti. This 286 has no typical Olivetti design, the pcb looks different and the BIOS as well.

The battery is out. But I dont understand why the options I select arent ereased when reboots.

Often, the CMOS data will decay slowly when the battery is removed. Give it a bit of time, say, 15-30 minutes with the battery and power removed. Some systems have a switch or jumper to discharge any stored CMOS power.

I give it more than 24h without the power cable.
Im not gona change more parameters with gsetup.

Back