• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help identifying some cards

Amigaz

Experienced Member
Dug thru my old 8-bit XT cards and found a some card's I would appreciate if someone could help me identify.

First is a full lenght graphics adapter:

The markings and codes on it hasn't lead me to what this card is.

Next up are two memory card's which I have no clue what model or brand they are:

I'd like to use the memory card's in my IBM 5160 I plan to restore since it's just a 256k machine right now but since I don't know what thew card's are it will be a pain to figure out the dip switch settings etc

That last one isn't so mysterious - IBM 1501989. It is a 64K to 256K card. You have 36 chips, which are organized as 4 banks of 9. That includes parity bits. Each bank is 64KB of RAM.

Both look like no-name Taiwanese EMS boards. Take a look at the MCT version for a possible clue. These were very popular on 5160's, as everyone wanted to run big 1-2-3 spreadsheets.

Your biggest problem is going to be finding software that works with these.

The top one looks like some kind of MDA-clone, or maybe even a Hercules-clone. I'm almost positive it will do MDA because the EPROM are labeled EMDA. Only trial-and-error will show if it is Hercules compatible.

Regarding the memory card labeled 'RAM BANK'. DTK released a card for the AT named 'AT-RAMBANK'. Perhaps this card is the predecessor to the AT-RAMBANK.

Only trial-and-error will show if it is Hercules compatible.
Not only, usually it's no problem to identify memory chips, calculate how much RAM a card has, and:
4 KB = MDA
64 KB = HGC
any other value = heck if I know...
Anyway, in this case the photo isn't sharp enough...

The top one looks like some kind of MDA-clone, or maybe even a Hercules-clone. I'm almost positive it will do MDA because the EPROM are labeled EMDA. Only trial-and-error will show if it is Hercules compatible.

Ok, thanks :)

Guess I'm selling it then, have no use for MDA card's since I have no MDA monitor anymore

Ok, thanks :)

Guess I'm selling it then, have no use for MDA card's since I have no MDA monitor anymore
I know. Didn't I buy that IBM 5151 from you some time ago?

Anyways, can you post a close-up pictures of the RAM chips on the card? It would help us tell if the card actually does Hercules or not, and I think a hercules-compatible card may be more appealing to buyers than a non-hercules card.

I know. Didn't I buy that IBM 5151 from you some time ago?

Anyways, can you post a close-up pictures of the RAM chips on the card? It would help us tell if the card actually does Hercules or not, and I think a hercules-compatible card may be more appealing to buyers than a non-hercules card.

Will do, per ;-)

It's not the MDA clone that has 256KB. There is more than one card discussed here.

per said:

Take a good look at the memory along the left side of the board.

That would be strange if it is rigth, but I haven't seen close pictures of them so I can see the number yet.

Maybe it is an EGA card?

That would be strange if it is rigth, but I haven't seen close pictures of them so I can see the number yet.

Maybe it is an EGA card?

Maybe, but I wonder if it's perhaps a clone of a Herc InColor card. Or maybe a multi-page MGA.

Here's a better picture

I haven't the faintest idea what the TI chip is in the upper right corner. The 31MHz XCO is another clue to a higher-resolution card.

Maybe EIZO will have a clue.

Back