• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help when use isa-to-usb card in IBM 5160!

Are you working on integrating support for these boards in XTIDE Universal BIOS?

I've looked at the source; it looks like it should be possible, but either way the code can be made to go faster.

What is the difference between the Standard and Fast transfer modes? As far as I can tell (and I might be wrong on this, reading the datasheet makes me wish google had an engrish translator), the CH375 can only do 8-bit transfers (via Base+0) so how would Fast mode work?

Same trick as XT-CF series use for BIU mode. Shift the address lines, or line in this case, left one and we can use rep insw on V20+.

the wiki page refers to both 360h and 260h. I guess this is a typo?
Thanks, updated.

Considering these boards could be useful in a wide range of machines (I'm thinking from XT to AT machines, perhaps all the way up to Pentium class) maybe it would be worth adding more options for ROM and I/O port addresses?

Yes possibly, and also ditching all the THT components for a rev.2 most likley. Keep the ideas coming!

Also, as far as I can tell, the CH375 supports more than one drive. Has anyone tried using a USB-hub with multiple drives? I don't think the BIOS supports that but the driver might? I haven't checked.

Hopefully some beta testers will try for us :)

Lo-tech PCBs are in, and the CH375s - alpha testers should be receiving their boards in about a week or two :)

I'd love to hear from anyone that has tested the Lo-tech version of this board.

Nice surprise. I totally missed it, that you guys got working USB on 8-bit ISA Card. I will buy few kits from you James :)

Last edited:
It seems like James has working card.

AFAIK it's still in the 'Experimental' stage and not yet proven working, It seems none of the alpha testers have reported back to James to say if it works or not.

I'm excited by this project! Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't require any additional power connections (just like the XT-CFv3); coupled with slot 8 compatibility, you can literally drop it into any system with any USB key and you're off and running. And, any system with a USB port can be used to transfer files on/off the usb key (assuming you've partitioned it as a single primary partition). I'm looking forward to this.

pearce_jj i dont have your board but the original chinese one and that works fine with the driver in my M24.
There is not a lot to messup and when i looked at your design i didn't saw anything wrong so i believe it should work.
The only thing that still needs work is support for it in the XTIDE Universal bios.

You need to format your usb drive carefully to make it recognized by the adapter if you want to boot from it.I tried a lot to find out which mode will work.

Would be great to hear back from the testers of the prototype ISA-USB boards!

Somewhat OT, and I am sorry if it was discussed already in the previous 14 pages, but will this board provide actual USB support? I.E. w/ something like DOSUSB drivers could you make use of generalized USB peripherals or are we limited to just USB flash memory sticks? Thanks!

Back