• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help with manually configuring hard drive

scrubsy

OK, dipping my toes into 486 computers and I am having such a hard time setting up the hard drive. The drive was working perfectly in the machine when I got it, but then unplugged it from the motherboard to clean everything out and set up the cd drive. Then I was getting issues and thought I would reset the BIOS and that would fix my problems. NOPE, just made 500 more issues. This version of the Phoenix utility doesn't have auto for the hard drive I have tried to set the numbers manually, but no matter what I set the drive does not boot. What's even weirder is the drive won't even spin now when the IDE cable is plugged in. Revs up with just the power cable in, but attach the IDE cable too and nothing. I tried the drive in another machine and it worked perfectly so I don't think there is an issue there. The drive was the default one from the factory (Gateway 2000 4DX2-66) so I don't think it should be a compatibility issue.

So first image is of the drive and the next two are the fun errors I keep getting and last one has the numbers I imputed.

20170901_223758 (1).jpg20170902_222842.jpg20170902_222858.jpg20170902_223003.jpg

Solved this one, felt like an idiot. Just needed to set CYL to 1023 and it read the hard drive fine.

Have you tried setting the Bios for User Defined instead of Type 48?
The spec sheet I have for the WD Caviar AC2540 lists the LZ=1048.

Also, is the drive jumpered for Master or Cable Select?
If Cable Select, you have to connect the Master to the middle connector on the cable.
If set for single drive (Master Only), there are no jumpers applied.

Back