• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

need help with xerox 6060

Here you have all technical documents, drivers, special M24 enabled software, ...

The battery is only for the realtime clock, nothing else. All hardware-configuration settings are done by DIP switches and Jumpers. Not needed for using the M24, as long as you don't need the actual date in your files.
I came across a thread by this Trixter individual , where he said that his computer stopped booting (like mine) when he cut out the battery.
But again looking for that thread to prove what was said again takes time away from other things I could be doing.
Maybe he found out in the course that the battery was not the cause of his symptoms.
Again I am following a different path now and having the other motherboard , video card and memory hopefully will aid me in comparing the components and their values.

Last edited:
I am having a partial success. got the motherboard today and the memory card. The seller accidentally sent me the ISA slot board (which I didn't purchase) instead of the video board I did purchase.
So with the new motherboard I am getting a start up chime and the keyboard stops blinking after 3 seconds or so. I don't have any video at the moment.
I tried to connect an 8 bit EGA card, that didn't work. Neither on composite with my Apple III monitor. Nor on composite or EGA on my LCD ( I know the LCD works with this EGA board) I could take my VGA card out of my IBM 5170 and see if that will work. Or I can just set the computer back again and wait for the video card to show up. So close

So with the new motherboard I am getting a start up chime and the keyboard stops blinking after 3 seconds or so. I don't have any video at the moment.
This is good. This indicates the system initialized itself, reset and programmed the keyboard microcontroller and completed POST.
The jumper to enable and disable the onboard video is located on the video board. I forget the exact jumper but I know it is described in the PC 6300 owners manual at least.

I made the mistake thinking that just pulling the PAL would disable the video card. I made the jumper as per convoluted manual.
I have video for the first time. I swapped the 1.1 ROM for my 1.31 ROM and the picture got clearer
hen I boot with ROM 1.1 as well as with ROM 1.31 it says that there is an optional ROM and it hangs up there.
Any advise there?
IMG_7025.jpg

So with the new motherboard I am getting a start up chime and the keyboard stops blinking after 3 seconds or so

As others have stated, that's excellent news! If the blinking stops and you hear a beep, the POST fully completed.

I have video for the first time. I swapped the 1.1 ROM for my 1.31 ROM and the picture got clearer
hen I boot with ROM 1.1 as well as with ROM 1.31 it says that there is an optional ROM and it hangs up there.
Any advise there?
View attachment 55814

That optional ROM at C800:0000 is a hard disk controller. If it's hanging, it means your internal hard disk is dead. Try one of these four suggestions: Removing the hard disk; setting the DIP switches such that the system is not configured for a hard disk; replacing the hard disk with an identical model (this is likely not practical nor cheap), or (if one is installed) removing the hard disk controller to continue. You can replace the nonfunctional hard disk with an XT-IDE board later; the slower-speed configurations of the XT-IDE's Universal BIOS (XUB) are compatible with the M24/6300/6060.

If you have access to an EEPROM burner, I'd suggest burning either the Xerox 6060 or AT&T 6300 ROM BIOS 1.43. It was the last version produced, and contains some compatibility fixes. Microsoft Word for DOS, for example, requires 1.43 in order to work in the 640x400 graphics WYSIWYG mode.

Also, it looks like your video is coming up in 40-column mode -- you may want to set DIP switches to 80-column mode.

Where did you find a replacement 6060 motherboard?

there are a few issues that have cropped up. I would like to check the hard drive for errors. But I can't get the floppy drives to load much of anything. Maybe a dir file if I sm lucky
Now I know they are 360k drives, but still they should read something. Is there a common fault these drives have?
So far I cleaned the heads twice and lubed up the tracks and stepper motor.
what next?

The floppy drives are usually the last to develop issues, and you've done the correct maintenance. Have you verified the floppies themselves are readable on a different system?

Does anyone know which IC is the floppy controller? And is it socketed?
Update : found the Floppy controller and it's not socketed. But that's not a problem. Floppy works on my Gateway 2000

Last edited:
If there's a problem with the controller electronics, I'd venture that it's more likely to be one of the interface (e.g. 7438) driver chips. But that's my guess. I don't think I've ever seen a NEC D765 fail.

If there's a problem with the controller electronics, I'd venture that it's more likely to be one of the interface (e.g. 7438) driver chips. But that's my guess. I don't think I've ever seen a NEC D765 fail.
The NEC is from my spare board. But that wasn't the issue. Did you see that the floppy had no problem loading in my Gateway 2000?

Also I noticed that the computer never keeps the time. not even after a reset.

What about the floppy driver chips on the 6060 motherboard?

I suspect that a low battery indication causes the BIOS to assume that the time is invalid.

Back