• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Known Good Workbench 1.3 Disks

Al Hartman

Veteran Member
I'm trying to fix a pair of Amiga 500 Computers I have on the shelf here. I have a set of Workbench disks, but neither unit will boot from them.

I want to rule out the chance that the disks are bad. So, I need a set of good copies of Workbench 1.3.

I own Amiga Forever Pro Edition, so I own a license to Workbench 1.3 and all the others up to 3.1. But, I have no way to transfer the .ADF files to actual Amiga disks without a Kryoflux, or a working 500 with two drives to use Amiga Explorer (plus, I have to track down a null modem cable) which comes with Amiga Forever.

I'll pay costs of media and postage and something reasonable for your time. But, I can buy new disks from a Cloanto reseller for $25.00US. I'm hoping not to sink any more money into these computers until they are working (other than repair parts).

I just bought an A520 so I can test them on my big screen using Composite, I ordered a special floppy cable to use a PC drive on the Amiga. And, I'm looking for the cable that lets you use an Amiga external drive on a PC Parallel port to write out ADF files. Like my XF1541 adapter.

Thanks!

I have the tools here to make disks (Amiga 4000D running Amiga Explorer), the problem is that I don't have any known good DSDD 3.5" disks laying around. The ones I have for the Apple IIgs that I could recycle tend to be hit or miss in terms of reliability and the newest ones I have are 20 years old now! I wouldn't want to make a set of disks and mail them only to have them go bad.

Get an HXC SD Card reader...

Get an HXC SD Card reader...

I know people are going to recommend that. But, I want to fix these and resell them to get them out of here. I'll use Amiga Forever instead of the real hardware. I should get rid of my 2 C-64's, my C-128 and the drives too. I bought 64 Forever Emulator too.

I have made a Workbench 1.3 and an Extras&Basic set on NOS Sony 3.5" DD disks. My 2000 boots from them every time. You can have them for the price of mailing them.

Well, I found a set of Workbench 1.2 disks so I decided to set up my A500's and see if either would boot from them. But, neither machine would turn on. One has a smashed resistor pack on visual inspection of the board. And, I don't know if my power supply is good any more. Just not able to fix them as I don't have a workbench here, and no room to set one up. So, I'm going to sell these as parts machines and stick with my working 1000 and Amiga Forever for now. So, I don't need those Workbench Disks any longer.

I probably should have taken you up on the offer, but I had put an order into Amikit and added an official set of Workbench 1.3 Disks for about $7.00 to my order. I also bought the official licensed media pak from Cloanto for $9.95, so I have every OS disk as an ADF from 1.34 through 3.1. I have Amiga Forever, so I have Amiga Explorer too. I'll hook my Amiga 1000 up to a serial null modem cable and just make all the disks I need, including a 1.30 kickstart for the A1000.

So, I'm all sorted.

Back