• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need parts for Compaq Portable III / 386

Avengerman14s

Hello,

I need help finding repair/replacement parts for my Compaq III 286 and 386. At this time I'm looking for the internal 3.5" Floppy to replace the 5.25" installed. Might also need additional parts once opened, if you have or know a source please let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

Hello,

I need help finding repair/replacement parts for my Compaq III 286 and 386. At this time I'm looking for the internal 3.5" Floppy to replace the 5.25" installed. Might also need additional parts once opened, if you have or know a source please let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

I don't know if Compaq ever had an official 3.5" part number for the Portable III, but I have installed a 3.5" drive and bracket from a P-II era Deskpro EN and it fits perfect. At one time I worked for a recycler and stripped these machines down and had kept a few drives and brackets, so I had mine on hand already, but even from ebay these are not terribly spendy.

Ebay links: Here's the bracket and Here's the drive.

Since you dont list what part of the world you are in, I am sending links to US eBay, so YMMV depending on where you are.

I believe the Compaq Portable 2670 (nearly the same thing as the III) came with a 3.5" drive. That or mine just happen to come with one installed.

Back