• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

need PCI riser card/s

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
Preferably specific to the Intel SCB2 server board. Not sure what will or won't work, maybe anything. The mezzanine slots supporst pci 64 bit/66mhz. My understanding is 64 bit addressing is possible but data transfers are still 32 bits wide. Whatever. If you have anything in your junk pile PM me. I'm just looking to add an ata/100 card and maybe a video card.

Nope, I was wrong. I went back and looked at the promotional video on the included dvd and it clearly shows what I think are 64 bit 5vdc PCI slots. Which means many 32 bit PCI cards should work? Assuming I find the right riser card. Or is it possible a riser card that only has standard pci slots may work?

64 bit PCI and PCI-X are extensions of the PCI bus. According to Intel, the board you have can support up to 6 x 64 bit PCI cards at 66 MHz using risers.

So the first riser in my post above will work, but the second one won't work except for a single specific configuration. You'd need a universal keyed 32/64 bit PCI/PCI-X card that can tolerate 5 volts. The riser converts to 3.3v only keyed slots so plugging a 3.3v keyed card in will probably result in damage to the card. A universal keyed card would be fine though.

It's hard to find the correct riser because 64 bit PCI wasn't around for very long before being supplanted by PCI-X. They are supposed to be cross compatible if you have the correct voltage slots.

As for your Ebay link, yes that is an Apple part. The 820-xxxx-x gives it away. It may work since it is a purely passive adapter, but you'd be losing the extended functionality of the 64 bit PCI bus, both the bus width and speed.

The seller offered a 50% discount so I'll buy at least 1 of them. If I can plug a an ata adapter I'll be happy, maybe eventually a video card would be nice too. This board has onboard Rage graphics, more appropriate for the era, maybe performance won't be horrible. Provided the ram I ordered works. Still haven't found the PIII I might have in my stash.

Are pci cards labeled appropriately as to what voltage they use? I guess it shouldn't be hard to determine, even if the box doesn't tell you (although it should).

Back