• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need self-extracting image creator

MikeS

Veteran Member
Can someone point me at a *free* self-extracting (in Win98/XP) diskette image creation program, please?

I need to send someone a self-extracting 3.5HD image.

TIA,

mike

Perhaps I'm missing the intricacies since I don't recognise the platform but wouldn't WinImage or Dave Dunfields program used on the other end suffice ? I even remember using Telemate to transfer non-dos files on a BBS in the mid-90s. Telemate even had a disclaimer urging you not to use it to do illegal things. Does the recipient not have a MSDos machine ?

Lawrence

Perhaps I'm missing the intricacies since I don't recognise the platform but wouldn't WinImage or Dave Dunfields program used on the other end suffice ? I even remember using Telemate to transfer non-dos files on a BBS in the mid-90s. Telemate even had a disclaimer urging you not to use it to do illegal things. Does the recipient not have a MSDos machine ?

Lawrence
----------
I may also be missing something but AFAIK Dave's IMD can't make self-extracting images and WinImage isn't free if you want to make a self-extractor. I usually just use ZIP or IMD if it has to be bootable but this is the first time I've needed to send an image that has to extract itself. No, he doesn't have a working machine at all until he gets this disk (if then) and has to create the image at work (and he isn't very technically savvy). There's also the problem that it's actually a DD disk which he's unlikely to find in his African country but AFAIK his machine (Toshiba T3100e) can read HD disks, so I'm going to convert it to HD.

More Googling required I guess...

mike

Last edited:
I need to send someone a self-extracting 3.5HD image.

I think some of us (myself included) are having trouble with your term "self-extracting".
Whether the image extracts itself or not, it still needs to be written to a floppy somehow.

I suppose there may be limiting factors (ie. you say the recipient is not very technical),
but it shouldn't be too tough to write a BAT file to do all the work.
You could use RAWRITE to get the image onto floppy.
The BAT file would then look something like this:

Code:
@ECHO OFF
ECHO INSERT BLANK FLOPPY INTO DRIVE A:
PAUSE
RAWRITE DISK.IMG A:

Then just zip up the bat file, the image and RAWRITE.EXE into a ZIP file
and send that ZIP file to whomever.

Back