• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need some help with Flickr of all stupid things

WimWalther

Experienced Member
I've temporarily lost access to my Linux webhost, so I had to come up with something to post photos on various forums (this isn't one of them). So how the hell do I find direct image URLs for Flickr photos so I can post the images?

I've read several help messages but my interface to Flickr doesn't seem to work as they claim it should. The only URL I've been able to copy is a flic.kr address that takes you to my flickr.com account pages.

Is this a paid / pro feature only? That would be pretty useless..

Any suggestions?

When viewing a photo on your photostream, there's four icons below right of the photo itself. The second one is a right-pointing arrow - click on that, and the sharing options box will pop up. There's various sharing options there, including BBcode for forums.

Clipboard01.jpg

Cheers,

M.

When viewing a photo on your photostream, there's four icons below right of the photo itself. The second one is a right-pointing arrow - click on that, and the sharing options box will pop up. There's various sharing options there, including BBcode for forums.

View attachment 1245433

Cheers,

M.
This doesn't work for me. Rather than open the Flickr sharing dialog as seen in the tutorials, it opens the Android system sharing dialog.. like shown below.

If the direct image links are somehow to be found 8n that dialog, I'm missing it. The only URL that's available is the flic.kr one which loads my Flickr account page, not a bare image.

Screenshot_20220829-162827.png

Same problem if I'm using the Flickr app.. the only URL I can get is the flic.kr link to my account page on flickr.com. What the hell am I missing?

And yes, the image I'm attempting to link is set public & public domain.

While I'm griping, what kind of demented idiot uses the universal symbol for 'forward' (right pointing curved arrow) to mean "share this"??

Ah - didn't know you were using the (stupid) Flickr app. It should be possible to share things easily though. Find and open the photo you want to share, then tap the "three dots" at the bottom.

Screenshot_20220830-091721_Flickr.jpg

That should bring up the (Flickr, not Android) sharing menu - grab the top option ...

Screenshot_20220830-091734_Flickr.jpg

... and paste that link wherever you wish.

Incidentally - the Flickr link in your screenshot above takes me directly to the image - not to your Flickr account page or anything else.

Hopefully that should do it.

M.

Thought it was clear that I was initially using the browser interface (via Chrome on Android. 11) but then installed the app to see if it worked any differently / better. It doesnt.

So you're saying that the flic.kr link goes directly to the image itself for you? That is not what I'm seeing. If I paste that link into a browser, it takes me to my Flickr account pages - and if I embed it into a forum post between (img) (/img) tags, it displays the "broken image" icon in the post..

Additionally, I don't see how the flic.kr link could go to a bare image.. there's no image extension (.jpg, .png etc.) so how is the browser supposed to know what type of object it is - or that it even is a single object? Also, the Flickr share dialog should offer me various sizes of the image, allowing me to select the size I want to embed / post.

So where the hell is that featureful dialog?? Don't tell me this is some Android-only limitation - droid has the smartphone / tablet market about sewn up! It would be the next target in line after MS Win.

I've just grabbed this link from my photostream using the app.

It *should* take you to the photo.

Incidentally, I don't think there is a way that you can select different display sizes, nor BBCode or anything else from the app. Which is why I never use it - all 28000+ photos that I've uploaded have been done on the website.

M.

(Edit - there was no embedding needed - that inline image was the result of just pasting the "flic.kr" link directly into a message reply - with no tags involved.)

I'll look into it tomorrow, but right now I'll point out that the situation here on VCFED is very different than on most other forums like ar15.com for example.

VCFED locally hosts user images.. the photo is initially uploaded to their server and it remains there. Many other forums just load the image as needed - ala carte - from a 3rd party host. Of course there is caching taking place (at both VCFED server & browser / client) but these are still fundamentally different procedures.

Rant: WTF is the deal with so many sites pushing you to use their (often seriously) crippled apps when they have perfectly functional web interfaces? Ebay is a prime example of this, and now I'll add Flickr to the list. It's about activity tracking, isn't it?

Last edited:
Back