• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need to Discharge Broken CRT?

Well, yes, it rather does in this litigious society. It tends to demonstrate at least some degree of confidence in the information being provided when the risk of it being wrong is potentially great.

The referenced article was published in 2007 when society was less litigious than it is today. Just posting something doesn't add credibility to what was posted nor does it protect them from litigation should someone follow the advice and get injured or killed.

Again I restate: How many people giving this reckless advice would be willing to grab ground with one hand and the exposed part of a screw driver while discharging a 2nd anode. I bet none would.

You are all behaving like a bunch of little princesses. And DONT EVER TAKE MY WORDS OUT OF CONTEXT. I Never said there was no risk. I said They were making more out of the problem then there was.. Which quite honestly alot of you are still doing. I am someone who repairs CRT's all the time.. I am guess most of you waiting for your chance to jump in with a whole paragraph probably dont.. you just like to talk. ..And talk... And talk.... And you all seem to say very little.

WE DONT NEED TO HAVE BS DISCLAIMERS ON EVERY THREAD THAT STRING TOGETHER THE LETTERS C.R. And T. Unless the person is a complete idiot they will do their research. IF they dont they will suffer the consequences. Yet for some reason we all need to suffer the consequences of these little princesses just wanting to spiel out the same drivel...

Lets not forget what this thread was.. a MAC SE with a broken CRT Neck.. Discharge it and move on.. This is not a big job.. its pretty routine and mundane and damn routine. IF you are too afraid to work on it Simply dont... My god come on end your little tea party.

If you dont have the mind to be safe dont punish those of us who do with Constant squawking.......
Anyone challenging my advice is, essentially, stating there is no risk. Why is that? Because there is a risk of injury or death. Anyone unwilling to acknowledge that is, in effect, stating there is no risk.

No one is stating disclaimers need to exist however people offering sound advice to take precautions and be careful shouldn't be, in effect, ridiculed for doing so. Now please stop the prima donna lectures to the rest of us.

So whats the quota? Every post needs the disclaimer now? Every single post?

Should we add CRT disclaimers to every thread maybe.. Even in the marketplace? Maybe we all just add the CRT disclaimer to our signatures so we can see it on every post..... Yeah that would be just swell.... Hows your tea? Still hot?

So whats the quota? Every post needs the disclaimer now? Every single post?

Should we add CRT disclaimers to every thread maybe.. Even in the marketplace? Maybe we all just add the CRT disclaimer to our signatures so we can see it on every post..... Yeah that would be just swell.... Hows your tea? Still hot?
You failed to answer my question.

Sorry but I am not going to take an article on Low End Mac as an authoritative source of information on this subject. There is a risk of serious injury or even death when dealing with these Macs. This doesn't mean they cannot be serviced in a safe manner. What it means is one has to be careful and understand the risk. Anyone suggesting the risk is immaterial is an idiot.

Look at the author. Its literally a PROFESSOR. LOL.

Prof. Thomas H. Lee is at the Center for Integrated Systems, Stanford University

Yep a Professor at Stanford for their COMPUTER division is wrong. SMFH.

Look at the author. Its literally a PROFESSOR. LOL.

Prof. Thomas H. Lee is at the Center for Integrated Systems, Stanford University

Yep a Professor at Stanford for their COMPUTER division is wrong. SMFH.
I would ask this professor the same question I've asked of this forum: Would he be willing to take one hand and grab ground and the other to the exposed portion of a screw driver while discharging a 2nd anode. I bet his answer would be: No. Now I ask you: Do you believe there is no risk in working with CRTs in these systems. That requires a yes or a no. So let's be crystal clear on your position.

This entire thread stopped being a discussion when you started your name calling tea party. FNG
There's that sanctimony rearing its head again. On the ignore list you go. Who would have thought that stating there is risk and that someone should use caution while working on a CRT would be so controversial?

This thread is about a broken CRT on a mac that hadn't been powered on in days.... Moving goalposts here... OP has 0 chance anything is left on that CRT.

This thread is about a broken CRT on a mac that hadn't been powered on in days.... Moving goalposts here... OP has 0 chance anything is left on that CRT.
I wasn't responding to the OP but your erroneous post stating there was only 12 volts present and the reckless bahhahahhahaha you made in that post. You're clueless and should not be giving advice on something that could get someone killed.

Last edited:
I wasn't responding to the OP but your erroneous post stating there was only 12 volts present and the reckless bahhahahhahaha you made in that post. You're clueless and should not be giving advice on something that could get someone killed.

Again, as stated on that page and what I said... Only voltage that WOULD maybe be left is on the 12v side. The whole high voltage side would have bled off. 12v caps can store power for days. I stand by what I said. OP is fine and there is 0 voltage in that CRT. If the bleeder resistor fails on that mac, the HV board wouldn't start. That's how its designed. Unless OP is poking around with it plugged in theres 0 chance of dying from electric shock. Hence BAHAHHAHAHHAHA.

Again, as stated on that page and what I said... Only voltage that WOULD maybe be left is on the 12v side. The whole high voltage side would have bled off. 12v caps can store power for days. I stand by what I said. OP is fine and there is 0 voltage in that CRT. If the bleeder resistor fails on that mac, the HV board wouldn't start. That's how its designed. Unless OP is poking around with it plugged in theres 0 chance of dying from electric shock. Hence BAHAHHAHAHHAHA.
You don't know this. Likewise you're moving the goal posts. You initially said:

"if you think that Mac is going to kill you OP, unless you have other issues, it isnt going to."​

Yes, it could kill you (issues or not). It's all there for everyone to see your ignorance.

Timo W., who I believe you were responding to in your reckless post #14 gave excellent advice. Your bahhahahhahahahhahaa shows you are clueless about this subject and were ridiculing the advice given. It's sound advice. Anyone reading this thread would be wise to heed it and ignore your ignorant posts on this subject.

Back