• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need to Discharge Broken CRT?

Get off your soap box new guy. I know you THINK you are making your case..... But all your doing is making yourself look like an ass.. over.. and over.... and over again.

Thing on these macs to be careful of is when powering them up without the back cover, be careful of the switch. Dont fumble around the PCB where the switch is soldered to it. Had a what am i doing moment. Like that time i put my had under a table saw while it was running. Also for what ever reason, I always seem to somehow touch the brightness knob on these systems, and on powerup think it is dead, so always check that.

Been shocked by the discharge or a CRT, it really hurts and banged my hand on the monitor. Been shocked with 240VAC 5A and that really wakes you up. What really kills is sustained amps through your body. If you grab a conductor and you involuntary grab it harder when shocked it will burn you, and it it goes through your heart it may kill you.

I've grounded CRTs directly (short) to ground with a screwdriver before. Its not the best method but I'd rather you do this than get a shock. It's academic now as the CRT will have discharged anyway.

Be cautious but not frightened, if i had to bet money on it I'd say the shock wont kill you. It's broken anyway so I dont even know if it can hold a charge.

The referenced article was published in 2007 when society was less litigious than it is today.....

Actually, given that I work in a law firm, and have done for rather a large number of years, I think I can say this is simply not even slightly true.

And it misses the point by a country mile in any event.

Actually, given that I work in a law firm, and have done for rather a large number of years, I think I can say this is simply not even slightly true.

And it misses the point by a country mile in any event.
Notice the use of the word "less" and not the word "no".

Back