• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Network General Sniffer software

MindWalker

Experienced Member
Hi,

I bought from a local aucion a Network general sniffer ethernet card, manuals and disks. This is a fascinating product (not to mention the puns of the Sniffer name).

Using a 386 motherboard and DOS6.2 I've so far managed to install the version 4 of the software and I can launch the network monitor. While that is already cool, I would be most interested in the network analyzer part which would be more like Wireshark of today. Unfortunately the network analyzer compains about invalid configuration file and cannot be launched. The config file is a binary file so I can't really tell if it's corrupted on the disks or not.

The earlier version 3 does not launch as it appears to have some sort of hardware copy protection (by network MAC) and won't run.

I posted some pictures and some more in here:
I've dumped the disks and will be uploading them (somewhere).

Anyone have copies of the installer (later versions, as they seem to be non-hardware coupled)?

Thanks, I'll need to test if I could boot those dumps (they are after all just DOS5 with the Sniffer software added) on my test bench. At least one of them appears to have newer version 5. I might need to change into a 386 motherboard as my 486 is a bit flaky (it's either bad contacts on the ISA slots or slightly low +5V thru my modern ATX PSU and a atx2at adapter)

I tried couple of those hdd dumps, but unfortunately they seem to be yet more hardware-dependant installs for newer network cards.

So no luck yet - still looking.

Back