• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New fad?

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
What is up with people driving into buildings lately? Round here, we're up to five now in the past two weeks, counting the two today (a gas station & a 7/11). There's gotta be an easier way to get your picture on YouTube! Anyone else notice this phenomenon, or is it just a local thing?

--T

What is up with people driving into buildings lately? Round here, we're up to five now in the past two weeks, counting the two today (a gas station & a 7/11)...

I hear people do it all of the time, but I don´t have a garage so I couldn´t tell you...

Seriously, a year or so ago my grandmother´s second husband was idling the car in the garage, put it in drive, and hit the water heater, pushing into the master bathroom. He then put it into reverse, backed across the street (with her chasing after him since she heard the starting commotion), went through a fence, hitting two trucks. Then putting it in drive again, going across the street, through the neighbor´s yard, climbing over a rock barrier (I was very surprised to see the car could do this) and hitting their garage from the side outside. Backing down again, he high-centered on the rocks, luckily where he couldn´t motor off again.

My grandmother (now 92)? The neighbor pulled her out of the way to avoid being ran over. That´s the last I´ve heard of him driving (but he was completely uninjured, and the only damage to the houses around was their own).

Actually that's a great argumentative point. I've seen people with GPSs driving now and although they mostly listen to it but I like looking at maps myself. I've wondered is this just a new distraction to driving with people looking down or away from the road to look at a map? Kinda seems a bit worse than a cell phone which some studies say your reaction time while on the phone is the same as being drunk.

I guess it's like that old commercial. "Turn right... *SMASH* ...in 50 feet." I can't remember what that was a commercial, for, though. I have trouble imagining people not even looking at the road, but I guess some people are pretty stupid, huh?

I can never figure out when to turn when I see highway signs. Sometimes it's the first right sometimes its the second, and so forth. Sometimes its "soon" and othere times it waaayyyy down the road. There are no standards for that kind of thing. My solution is to a/ know where I'm going and, b/ keep my eyes peeled.

The thing that gets me about most traffic accidents is that they are due to bad steering. There is really only one rule needed for driving safely and that is: "DON'T HIT ANYTHING". I haven't hit anything in over 40 years of driving so it works for me. YMMV, such as this lady's: http://grok.baywords.com/2008/04/22/perfect-parking/

I can never figure out when to turn when I see highway signs. Sometimes it's the first right sometimes its the second, and so forth. Sometimes its "soon" and othere times it waaayyyy down the road. There are no standards for that kind of thing. My solution is to a/ know where I'm going and, b/ keep my eyes peeled.

The thing that gets me about most traffic accidents is that they are due to bad steering. There is really only one rule needed for driving safely and that is: "DON'T HIT ANYTHING". I haven't hit anything in over 40 years of driving so it works for me. YMMV, such as this lady's: http://grok.baywords.com/2008/04/22/perfect-parking/

I have always used the "don't hit anything" rule as well, and I add another one, "always signal lane changes!" :) These two cover most of the traffic laws. ;)

Back