• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Forums nits

Tried that, then reloaded the page. The draft was still there.

That's odd. I also just tested it and it did work for me.

So I notice that there is a very subtle green dot that appears on the floppy, this seems to indicate that something is happening. Some testing indicates that if you delete the draft, but immediate click refresh (before the green dot goes away) then the draft persists, but if you wait, then it does not, but if you wait too long, then it just saves the draft again (as the delete does not remove the draft text).

I have no idea why, but the Xenforo people seem hell bent on not adding a cancel button, no idea why.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm using another computer today, but we now have a favicon, and the main forum page has been reorganised. The blogs have been lumped into a single block, which takes much less space. I think it looks better.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm using another computer today, but we now have a favicon, and the main forum page has been reorganised. The blogs have been lumped into a single block, which takes much less space. I think it looks better.
I've noticed this too, and it warms my heart to see that The Powers That Be(TM) are listening.

Thank you.

That was me. I spent a few hours last night playing with the forum nodes. The home page looks ok for now, but it's not ideal, so there is more to come.

Eventually I want to look into the paid add-on for the blogs. This will move them into their own section and is much better suited for blogging. But for now, we'll leave them as they are now.

It looks like we have some ability to rename things. I tweaked "Conversations" to "Direct Messages" (I chose that nomenclature as I feel "Private Messages" is a misnomer, as they are not quite private, mods and admins can see them). Hopefully that clears up some of the confusion around the message system.
It's already a "web forum standard" to call "private messages" the inter-member messages that other forum members cannot see or know about.

A misnomer perhaps, as you say, but it is already entrenched terminology. Therefore I suggest renaming them to "Private Messages", as that will lessen the "friction" getting aquainted with this forum for new members.

I see older messages that have embedded photos do not work. Clicking on the photo gives a can not find file. It shows a directory
link of \filedata\<etc> or something similar to that. Did those not transfer over properly or is just a configuration issue?

I see older messages that have embedded photos do not work. Clicking on the photo gives a can not find file. It shows a directory
link of \filedata\<etc> or something similar to that. Did those not transfer over properly or is just a configuration issue?
Can you give me an example? Link to a post that this happens on?

It seems that all the topics which I was following are not selected any more. :(

I had many topics and also my own topics which I was following. If there was a
message I could react on that... Now I'm completely lost in all the topics...

I'm trying to figure something out. The way I normally want to view new forums posts is to see a list of new posts, including new posts since the last visit and including ones I have already read because I often want to re-read or go back and post in them.

If I go to "New Posts" instead of "What's New", and click the X next to "show only unread", then this seems to show what I want.

But I can't seem to bookmark that.

The new posts link is https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?whats-new/posts/ but when I go to it, it inserts a unique number like https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?whats-new/posts/1524/. If I bookmark such then it always returns the OLD results. The URL for clearing "show only unread" then points to https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?whats-new/posts/1524/&remove=unread - similarly if I bookmark that, it also shows only old results due to the search ID number.

If I attempt to edit the URL to https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?whats-new/posts//&remove=unread or https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?whats-new/posts/&remove=unread then the remove only unread bit has no effect and it only displays unread posts.

How can I bookmark this so I don't have to clear the "show only: unread X" button each time?

The search is abominable, but I made that point way back when they were proposing the software. I'm waiting for Google to finish indexing the forum so see if it does better.

I think the logo at the top, in its official circular form, just takes to much screen real state. I would be great if it could be restyled in a "banner fashion" to go up there without causing so much space to be wasted.
2021-12-28_screenshot_forum_logo-too-big-up-there__.png

Am I alone in that opinion?

Attachments

• 2021-12-28_screenshot_forum_logo-too-big-up-there_.png
    2021-12-28_screenshot_forum_logo-too-big-up-there_.png
    203.3 KB · Views: 3
I think the logo at the top, in its official circular form, just takes to much screen real state. I would be great if it could be restyled in a "banner fashion" to go up there without causing so much space to be wasted.

That is a good idea. Do you know someone who could make that for us? I certainly do have the graphics design ability to do so.

Back