• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Forums nits

I understand. But if that situation happened in the past, how come the Admins managed to so deeply annoy a forum member who had contributed so much valuable content?
I expect that a member, after multiple private warnings (e.g. due to violation of 'Terms and rules'), is going to be temporarily banned. That is a status that is public. I can see that some 'temporarily banned' members will be humiliated by that (to different degrees), and some of those may later seek 'revenge' in some form.

And this begs the question: does the content not belong to the user who created/posted it?
The 'Terms and rules' are accessible via a link at the bottom of this web site.
In those is,
"You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content."

chjfgj

I understand. But if that situation happened in the past, how come the Admins managed to so deeply annoy a forum member who had contributed so much valuable content?
I always use Nekochan.net as the greatest example ever witnessed on how one person can be so salty, dramatic and determined to get "forgotten" that they would border on harassment to the point the entire forum was deleted to shut them up.
I remember when time limits were first added here and 5 minutes was not enough. 120 minutes is completely fine.

An aspect of this argument that is being completely overlooked here is the prospect of making threads about ongoing projects where new information is regularly being discovered. No sane person wants to have to read 10+ pages of BS to get every detail, which is why on most forums the OP will be regularly edited to reflect the "state of the art"

An aspect of this argument that is being completely overlooked here is the prospect of making threads about ongoing projects where new information is regularly being discovered. No sane person wants to have to read 10+ pages of BS to get every detail, which is why on most forums the OP will be regularly edited to reflect the "state of the art"

There was a wiki here for a while. Unfortunately, the wiki was dropped and the content converted to normal threads.

Capture.PNG

Is there a desire to get a Wiki going again? There is a decent looking add-on for this that we could investigate, but we would need some volunteers to get some articles going (new ones as well as translations from the wiki threads).

There was a wiki here for a while. Unfortunately, the wiki was dropped and the content converted to normal threads.

Yes, I think they go screwed up with one of the upgrades for VBulletin. Converting them back would be straight forward, but time consuming.

When you want to backout of a reply there is no "Cancel", therefore the reply remains. Solution: Add a cancel feature.

There is a little disk icon to delete the draft. On my iPad this appears when I click on the three vertical dots on the top-right of the edit window.

Not as clean as a “Cancel” button, but there is something there to do the job.

Dave

There is a little disk icon to delete the draft. On my iPad this appears when I click on the three vertical dots on the top-right of the edit window.

Not as clean as a “Cancel” button, but there is something there to do the job.

Dave
True, but I know from other sites that use this version that all that is needed is to add the cancel tab.

Is there a desire to get a Wiki going again? There is a decent looking add-on for this that we could investigate, but we would need some volunteers to get some articles going (new ones as well as translations from the wiki threads).
I can assist with "translations from the wiki threads".

When you want to backout of a reply there is no "Cancel", therefore the reply remains. Solution: Add a cancel feature.
This was covered here, or in another thread (I don't recall at this point). It's not possible, and for some reason the Nexforo devs are adamantly opposed to adding a cancel button there. I found a few threads on their own forums about it.

This was covered here, or in another thread (I don't recall at this point). It's not possible, and for some reason the Nexforo devs are adamantly opposed to adding a cancel button there. I found a few threads on their own forums about it.
Thanks and okay - I'll find a way to deal with it as it is trivial.

Just noticed the new favicon - thanks - it's obvious what it is now.

How do I delete direct messages? I can select a few and then my only options are to deselect them, mark as read, mark as unread, mark as star and mark as unstar (whatever the hell that means) but no delete!

I think the option you want is to "Leave" the conversation.

It may be that both parties (or all if more than two) belonging to the conversation have to leave it before it will disappear permanently.

I think the direct messages are stored in a database and the conversation is 'owned' by as many people that have participated in the conversation.

You appear to be able to do this with multiple selections.

A word of warning - I haven't tried this yet. If you want to participate in an experiment, send me a DM, I will respond - and then we can both leave the conversation to see if it disappears...

Dave

Yes, Direct Messages === PMs.

Dave
As I've said before, wouldn't it be better to stick to standardized forum terminology and call them "private messages" and not "direct messages"? That way "forum skills" obtained elsewhere by the users are easily portable to this forum, and less confusion is created, less questions are asked, and wasting time on relearning things is avoided.

DM is easily just as much in common use as PM is.
That is not my experience at all. Also, I am a veteran user of several forums.

Also, if in this forum PM are going to be gratuitously renamed to DM, it should be done in a consistent manner and update all references to PM for them to read "DM": behold: https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?help/terms/

2022-01-22_terms-private-messages.png

2022-01-22_terms-private-messages_2.png

This is standard forum boilerplate. The terms it uses are those it uses, and no others. Are the forum admins going to amend that? And then what, when future incremental Xenforo updates arrive: amend that text again, and again, and again?

This Direct Message thing is a lost crusade, creates confusion, and disregards users' learned skills.

Last edited:
Back