• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New keyboard aquistion.

Casey

Veteran Member
A few days ago I encountered on eBay a Compaq Enhanced keyboard. (their first version of the Model M) You used to find them with the Deskpro 286 and Deskpro 386. This one was listed as untested and the photos didn't show a cord. Since the seller was taking offers I offered $10, he counter-offered $12, and I took it. About $29 with shipping from California.

I got it yesterday; looks fairly clean, and a cord was included. Just about all the exterior insulation was gone. I plugged it into my Deskpro 286/12 and got a keyboard error. No surprise there. Then I grabbed the cord from my Model M XT version. It liked that just fine.

As far as I can tell, it only had 3 dead keys: *, /, and + from the number pad. Caps Lock & Num Lock work, as well as the LEDs. I guess Scroll Lock works; at least the LED does.

So, not too bad a deal. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I expect it uses the same capacitance system the Portable does. Has anyone taken one of these apart?

Here's a stock image, my phone camera is all bandjacked:
compaq_keyboard1.jpg

Just found this, looks like the answer is yes:
compaq_keyboard2.jpg

I haven't had one of these, but from the looks of it, you may be cutting new foam pieces. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Texelec.com carries a replacement set of pads (105 pieces). They are, alas, out of stock right now.

Only 3 keys don't work: /, *. and - on the number pad. I can deal with that for now.

Back