• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Member with long list of vintage Macs

Mr Fahrenheit

Experienced Member
Hi everyone,

Just wanting to introduce myself. I'm a new member here (I wasn't aware of this forum until someone on Reddit referred me today), from North America.

I got back into Commodore back in 2018, and subsequently obtained several C64, C128, 1541-II, 1571, and 1581 drives. I also have the Ultimate stuff by Gideon.

About a year ago, I got back into vintage Macintosh. I started with Macintosh in 1990, with a new Macintosh Plus, which I still have actually. I bought myself a IIsi in 1993, and a Quadra 605 in 1994. 1995 I purchased a 7200/75, and 1996 I upgraded it to a 7600/132 (which quickly became a 7600/233, and then a 7600/G3-300). As you can see I've been using Macintosh for quite some time.

Over the past year, I've amassed a large collection of (mostly) working vintage Macintosh computers. I presently have (some have several quantities): | IIgs | Plus | SE | SE/30 | Classic | Classic II | II | IIcx Prototype | IIcx | IIci | IIfx | IIsi Prototype | IIsi | LC Prototype | LC | LC II | LC III | Performa 460 (33mhz) | LC475 | Quadra 605 | Centris 610 | Quadra 610 | Quadra 630 | Quadra 650 | Quadra 800 | PM6100/60 | PM6100/66 | PM8600/300 | G4 DA Dual 533 | PB520 | G5 Dual CPU 2.0 | G5 Dual Core 2.3 | MacPro 1,1 | MacPro 5,1 | XServe | MBPro 2009 | Early 2015 MBPro Retina |

I had never touched a soldering iron in my life, and learned to solder in May of 2020. My first project: recap a IIsi. After a couple of mistakes and learning, I managed to make it work. I have been recapping Macs like mad ever since. So far I have over 100 vintage Macs, and I've recapped at least 3/4 of them.

Then there's the software collection. If you are familiar with my posts on Reddit, I maintain an interesting boxed software collection, mostly sealed. My operating system collection and 30 years of usage includes: System 5 | System 6 | System 7 | System 7.5 | System 7.6 | Mac OS 8 | Mac OS 8.5 | Mac OS 9 | Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 | Mac OS X Public Beta | Mac OS X 10.0-10.15 | Apple A/UX | MkLinux | Darwin | Debian Linux.

I'm a huge HyperCard fan. It was what got me into Macintosh in the first place. I still to this day use HyperCard for daily work tasks (as do 6 of the employees at the company I work for) on decked out PowerMac G5 machines networked to Debian Linux systems. It's a very interesting setup, and it works, very well.

I've recently gotten into NeXT computers. I purchased one and I'm figuring out how it all works. Plan to recap the motherboard.

I'm a big fan of Apple's A/UX software. I'm desperately looking for original install media and complete sets with manuals. If you have any that you're willing to part with for some money, message me.

Fun bunch of systems. Tell us about this LC prototype.

The LC prototypes I have found this year have no case badging, no serial number sticker, no sticker or imprinting on the bottom identifying the machine and the FCC info.

They have production style motherboards (meaning they appear nearly identical). They both have APPLE CONFIDENTIAL ROMs. Both are the early run which includes the red push button to reset PRAM when it gets corrupt from dead or missing battery. Both have the capacitor at C9 as the large TH 2200uf instead of the SMD one. I have replaced with tantalum.

One of the boards has serial number 0000 the other I don’t know because it’s still on its way to me. The first one, I was unable to make it work after a complete recap. I set it aside for the time being. I hope to have the second one working.

That's like a dream collection for me, very nice. For how long would you say you have had your earliest acquisition?

Back