• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

New Old Stock for Sale Seagate ST 506

n5dpk

I have a limited number if NEW old stock ST 506 drives. These are not used. Asking 100.00 per unit plus shipping my e-mail is n5dpk@yahoo.com. Paypal please.

Dennis

PIXS of ST 506 Drives

PIXS of ST 506 Drives

Here are some pixs of these ST 506 drives

Attachments

• 100_0803.jpg
    100_0803.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_0807.jpg
    100_0807.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_0806.jpg
    100_0806.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_0805.jpg
    100_0805.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1
I hope that one's the only one that you opened up the HDA on! That "Product warranty will be void..." sticker is there for a reason. Your living room isn't exactly a Class 100 clean room...

I hope that one's the only one that you opened up the HDA on! That "Product warranty will be void..." sticker is there for a reason.
Heh, I just recently opened up an old Micropolis drive to see if it was suffering from stuck heads. Didn't work anyway, so nothing to lose really. I did have to giggle quietly to myself when poking a screwdriver through the warranty seal sticker; somehow I don't see whoever ended up with Micropolis' assets honouring a warranty that probably expired about 20 years ago.

That aside, it would indeed be a shame if any of these NOS drives have been ruined before they even got a chance to run :-\

Your living room isn't exactly a Class 100 clean room...
I've seen folk have been doing quite well at home with plastic boxes, fine filters and vacuum cleaners! Class 100 it ain't, but for a quick poke around when there's not much at stake: why not? You just need to remember to put all the tools you're going to need in the box before purging it...

Dennis,

Please stick to one thread for this topic. (I've moved your new thread and the replies to it back to this thread.)

Mike

Mike, why is this under the "PC" forum? To the best of my knowledge, no PC-compatible system ever used the ST506--and you certainly can't hook one to a 5160 controller without some ROM rework. The 506 uses an unbuffered seek, which almost no PC hard disk controller is set up to perform. I found that I was able to get an ST506 (the vendor was giving them away with every HDC purchase) by modifying the Xebec controller's internal drive tables, but it's hardly authentic.

The 5160 uses an ST412 interface and hosts a hulking 4MB--about 11 5.25" 360K floppies.

I think some Tandy systems used an ST506, as well some DEC systems.

Last edited:
So if I buy one of these drives, I get a brand new hard drive that hasn't been used or tampered with, opened ?

Mike, why is this under the "PC" forum? To the best of my knowledge, no PC-compatible system ever used the ST506--and you certainly can't hook one to a 5160 controller without some ROM rework. The 506 uses an unbuffered seek, which almost no PC hard disk controller is set up to perform. I found that I was able to get an ST506 (the vendor was giving them away with every HDC purchase) by modifying the Xebec controller's internal drive tables, but it's hardly authentic.

The 5160 uses an ST412 interface and hosts a hulking 4MB--about 11 5.25" 360K floppies.

I think some Tandy systems used an ST506, as well some DEC systems.

It's not in the PC forum. It is in the 'Items For Sale or Trade' area, where I moved it to. (Are you looking at the redirect? That will expire in 2 or 3 days anyway.)

Even if it was PC specific, it is for sale or trade, not a question or topic about PCs.

It's not in the PC forum. It is in the 'Items For Sale or Trade' area, where I moved it to. (Are you looking at the redirect? That will expire in 2 or 3 days anyway.)

Even if it was PC specific, it is for sale or trade, not a question or topic about PCs.

Okay, it looks like the redirect was what I saw.

Regardless, my cautions (a) about opening the HDA and (b) not using it on a PC still apply. Just because everyone calls the interface "ST506" doesn't mean that a real ST506 will work in any given application.

St 506

St 506

Chuck. the drive I opened will not be sold. I opened it because this drive was damaged when a friend was inspecting it and dropped it and it was damaged on a edge. These drives are new old stock and have not been tampered with. If you buy one and it is not what I say it is I will refund your money or replace it. That's a better warranty than anyone in the computer business, and I am not in the business, I'm just trying to sell some drives I came across.

Dennis

Dennis, I understand, but you can imagine my reaction when I saw the open HDA sitting on your table!

Good luck in finding new homes for your stock!

Hi Dennis,
what would be the price if I take 3 of them? I use them for low-level formatting in Apple Profiles.. I can check very quickly if they really work.. so what happens if I can not low level format a drive? I have formatted 30-40 ST-506 and ST-412.. nearly no drive I bought off ebay was really working (mostly I part them out from IBM XT's)...

Hi
Biggest problem I've seen with these drives is that
most machines that use them leave the heads sitting
on cylinder 0. The back edge of the heads are as sharp
as knife edges. The vibration of shipping causes them
to dig into the surface. This usually takes out two
or three cylinders.
They should always have the heads parked before shipping.
This requires spinning them up to speed and having the
heads moved past the last cylinder.
I've actually taken apart a couple of drives and swapped
platters to fix this problem. You can clearly see the damaged
surfaces.
Dwight

Hi
Biggest problem I've seen with these drives is that
most machines that use them leave the heads sitting
on cylinder 0. The back edge of the heads are as sharp
as knife edges. The vibration of shipping causes them
to dig into the surface. This usually takes out two
or three cylinders.
They should always have the heads parked before shipping.
This requires spinning them up to speed and having the
heads moved past the last cylinder.
I've actually taken apart a couple of drives and swapped
platters to fix this problem. You can clearly see the damaged
surfaces.
Dwight

I read that this generally was not a good idea because dust particles could get on the drive platter surfaces and lead to errors. However, today's drives have aural densities exponentially greater and smaller surface areas than these bricks. I guess using some compressed air would do the trick before putting the platters back together.

I read that this generally was not a good idea because dust particles could get on the drive platter surfaces and lead to errors. However, today's drives have aural densities exponentially greater and smaller surface areas than these bricks. I guess using some compressed air would do the trick before putting the platters back together.

Hi
For the older drives, being reasonably clean is good enough. I first find a place
where ther is little air movement. I use the basement of my house for this.
I clean the area the day before with a HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner( cobb
webs and all). I uses fresh plastic film ( construction supplies used to cover
carpet when doing sheet rock ) on the bench.
I've not had any problems. The drives have filters for most big stuff. It
is the smaller particles, like smoke, that do the most damage.
Blowing out with anything but lab piped in, clean dry air is a bad idea.
I wouldn't use anything out of my compressor.
Dwight

However, today's drives have aural densities exponentially greater and smaller surface areas than these bricks. I guess using some compressed air would do the trick before putting the platters back together.

I doubt it--a winchester drive still depends on the head flying at very low altitude. However, you can devise a "clean box" to work in without too much trouble.

What's "aural density"? I've heard some Second Viennese School music that was pretty dense aurally, but I've never seen the term used on disks.

I doubt it--a winchester drive still depends on the head flying at very low altitude. However, you can devise a "clean box" to work in without too much trouble.

What's "aural density"? I've heard some Second Viennese School music that was pretty dense aurally, but I've never seen the term used on disks.

OMG, I got the biggest laugh out of that! My wife has called me aurally dense for years. On the other hand, "areal density" (or "bit density") is probably the better fit for the OP.

Last edited:
Hi Dennis,
what would be the price if I take 3 of them? I use them for low-level formatting in Apple Profiles.. I can check very quickly if they really work.. so what happens if I can not low level format a drive? I have formatted 30-40 ST-506 and ST-412.. nearly no drive I bought off ebay was really working (mostly I part them out from IBM XT's)...

Email me at n5dpk@yahoo.com and we can talk about it

Dennis

Back