• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New P112 kit run

Sharkonwheels

Veteran Member
For those of you unaware, Dave Griffith is taking pre-orders for another P112 kit run.

Visit http://661.org/p112/ for info.

Cost is $150 all-inclusive.

If you don't feel like building a kit, Terry Gulczynski offers a kit-building service, and he also offers a GIDE add-on board for IDE HDD use.

Terry's site is at http://home.roadrunner.com/~tgcons/

For those unaware, this is a 16mHz Z80 SBC, with all ports onboard (Ser,Par,FDD,) with support for up to 1MB RAM.

Cheers!

Hey, now this is exactly the kind of CP/M machine I was looking for. Pre-ordered!

Now I just need to put together one of those classy '70s-style wood cases...

Sounds like a great project, CJ! My favorite case style, both for building and for looks was sheet metal base and top with wood sides, like the Sol-20. They're easy to build, easy to get in to, and easy to modify.

I'd buy one of these kits, too, but I'm trying to figure out what I'd do with it since I'm already trying to figure out what to do with all the CP/M systems I've already got. It's like a 15 puzzle, trying to have them all set up and operating and still have room to work on them. The P112 looks like a sweet kit.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the Sol-20 look, but a sheet-metal base would probably be a good idea. Think I might use wood for the other sides, though; I just like the way it looks. The trick will be figuring out a decent case arrangement that doesn't require the use of metal-working tools...

By the way, Dave says that he's got 11 pre-orders and is looking to get ~30, so if anyone else wants to join in the fun, this would be a great time to do so :)

My preemptive apologies for resurrecting a 2-year-old thread...

Just in case you haven't checked in the For Sale or Trade subforum lately, I pushed the button on a new effort to get more P112 kits made. This time I'm using Kickstarter.com to handle the messy work of gathering funds and there's more peace-of-mind that I won't take the money and run (like I'd do that and live). Anyhow, see http://661.org/p112 for the details, a link to the Kickstarter project page, updated manual, and so on. Costs have gone up and I really didn't want to go through sorting thousands of tiny parts again. So, the kit this time will include the board, surface-mounts mounted for you, two CDs full of stuff, and two serial port pigtails. The price is $100 in the US and $112 outside the US. At the P112 website there is a parts list with links to the parts webpages at Mouser, Digikey, and Jameco. Most of the parts can be bought from Mouser. There's a link to a Mouser Project where you can instantly order what you need (or delete stuff you already have). Mouser doesn't have the RS232 chips, so go to Digikey for that. Jameco has connectors and crimpers.

Terry will be assisting me again with burning roms and I'm sure he can be cajoled into building your P112 for you.

Please go and put down your pledge. Funding closes on November 12, so please go there and tell your CP/M-using buddies to do the same.

Now, about cases, an old SCSI chassis that takes a full-height drive will make a nice P112 chassis. There's usually some place inside where you can mount the board. See the webpage for pictures of mine. If you need to make a mounting bracket, it's pretty easy to do with aluminum plate, L-extrusion, and standoffs. A dremel and file are all I used to make my bracket. If you need to drill steel, go buy a nitride-tipped bit so you won't ruin bits like I did.

Now it is only 3 hours to go, and the project is missing 491 dollars.
That is five (5) backers of 100 dollars each, or three (3) backers at 170 dollars each.

I have assembled my kit, and my P112 is up and running! I have also built the GIDE and 4-port LAN adapters, from Terry Gulczynski, and found them to be excellent designs. I'm still in the midst of testing and setup, but I'm thrilled, overall.

- Alex

I completed soldering up my P112 tonight, and everything works on first try:
Code:
SMC IO chip identified (FDC37C665GT): configuring
ROM-code built: 30 Nov 2012  CPU clock: 16.000MHz
RAM available: 1024kB. From 00000 to FFFFF
        ROM shadowed into 1st 32kB
Unrecognizable disk format

Z80 Series ROM-Resident Debugger V1.06: D-X Designs Pty Ltd  1997
Special P112 Version: Interrupts Supported
Type '?' for help

=
Yes, I'm still thrilled when I get everything right on the first try. :p
Now I just need to connect drives, find a case and so on. Happy days.

Back