• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Rockwell Aim 65 club member....

waltermixxx

Experienced Member
Hi there, I am about to become the proud owner of a lovely encased Rockwell Aim65. :) It's arrived in Canada (according it it's tracking inf), and I should have it shortly :) I am looking forward to messing around with it, and trying the various language roms available for it. Once I have had both my shots, and my fellow AIM 65 Owners who live close by have had theirs, I plan on having an Aim65 get together. Mr. Stein, Mr. Gray, and Mr. Bensadon you are all welcome to come and bring your Aims with you. :) I will fire up the BBQ and we will make a day of it. ;) I cannot wait for this to arrive. Thank you very very much Mr. Naberezny for sending me that. :) I appreciate it a ton. :) This should be a complete unit with printer, documentation and case. :) should be fun. :)

Package arrived, nicely packed. With books as well. I will post some pics as soon as I can. :0)

You can take the serial output from Z32 pin 12 (TX) - but you can't feed a serial input into Z32 pin 16 (as it is already being driven by another logic gate).

J1/U ***IS*** a TTL serial output (but it is driven from a 74LS38 gate - which is open collector - and therefore requires a 3k pull-up resistor to +5V).

J1/Y ***IS*** a TTL serial input.

There are protection diodes on J1/Y (so it can be driven from higher voltages if desired).

However, to drive an RS232 output, requires an external buffer.

This is what is shown in the document you link to.

The only thing you need to watch out for is whether the signal is inverted or not when you add it to your bluetooth serial device. This might require the inclusion of a 74LS04 hex inverter to invert one/both/none of the TX/RX signals. You can breadboard it up and (if it is not necessary) don't include it in your final build.

There is a 3k resistor (R23) in the serial input to the AIM-65 (to act as a current limiting resistor) so you may have to go directly onto Z5 pin 5 with a direct TTL input.

A bit of experimenting required...

Dave

Last edited:
Back