• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Tandy 1000 RLX

GottaLottaStuff

Veteran Member
Picked this up a few weeks ago. 1000 RLX with original keyboard, mouse, printer and VGM 220. Plugged it in and bad things happened. High pitched squeal, smoke, burning plastic smell, the usual. I thought the power supply had died, but it was the monitor. Now I just need to change the battery and run the setup and it should be good to go. I put the hard drive in another PC to image it, so I know it's OK, but not booting from it yet.
Tandy 1.jpg

Tandy 2.jpg

Nice find. I really like the small form factor of this system. It was unique in its time, but geared towards new computer users who didn't care how many ISA slots they had for upgrade-ability. Tandy really was at a point where they were trying to reduce costs through shorter cables, smaller form factors, and less materials. Too bad they died out - all of my Tandy's still run great to this day. Built to last compared to what we have nowadays.

My tablet will probably die long before my Tandy's ever will.

Enjoy it!

The 1000RLX is odd in that it has a 286 CPU, VGA graphics, high-density floppy drive, PS/2 keyboard & mouse ports, and with 1 MB of RAM and HIMEM.SYS loaded with the /MACHINE:pS2 switch it can run Windows 3.1x -- but it's still only an XT-class system, with XT-type keyboard interface, 8-bit ISA slot, and IDE-XT hard drive interface.

The motherboard is basically akin to what would've come in a laptop at the time, thus it has very low power consumption (the power supply is only 25 watts!) and is fanless.

Back