• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New to Minicomputers with Data General Nova 4/X and microNova 8561

Not sure what all the "retrobrighting" process involves, but SEM (available direct from them or at most auto paint jobbers) makes an excellent plastic dye/paint that can be used for hard plastic, I've used it for hard interior plastic surfaces in vintage cars. They can custom mix to any color and put it into a spray can, however one of their stock off-white colors may be very close and is less expensive. I've had excellent results using it, just follow their prep instructions exactly. IMHO it'd look great if put back to factory-new color on all that age-yellowed plastic.

Not sure what all the "retrobrighting" process involves, but SEM (available direct from them or at most auto paint jobbers) makes an excellent plastic dye/paint that can be used for hard plastic, I've used it for hard interior plastic surfaces in vintage cars. They can custom mix to any color and put it into a spray can, however one of their stock off-white colors may be very close and is less expensive. I've had excellent results using it, just follow their prep instructions exactly. IMHO it'd look great if put back to factory-new color on all that age-yellowed plastic.

I have seen SEM dyes get used in places like car interiors but computers is a new one. I have tried more generic dyes like RIT on plastic before on drive bezels and faceplates with lackluster results.
Retrobright/retrobrite/retr0brite...whatever you want to call it is the garage meth lab equivalent to removing yellowing from plastics through a peroxide chemical process and UV light exposure. Depending where you get the instructions the ingredients and process steps vary, but they are all somewhat harmful and the procedure is known to be temporary in most plastics, plus the plastics have been reported to get more brittle with each application so in a way it makes it look nice but makes it more fragile in the process.

Nice buy! ... saw this on eBay when they first put it up for $499 Buy it Now, and thought about picking it up for the racks, drives, and the D2 for my S-130, but the shipping killed that idea, then they took it down and price was doubled when it was re-listed. Lot of good stuff there!

nevertheless 500 is a pretty good price

Nice buy! ... saw this on eBay when they first put it up for $499 Buy it Now, and thought about picking it up for the racks, drives, and the D2 for my S-130, but the shipping killed that idea, then they took it down and price was doubled when it was re-listed. Lot of good stuff there!

still a very good price for such machine

Back