• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New to the site

marksmithhfx

Hi everyone, I popped into the site yesterday because I was looking for some help getting Apple Pascal running on an Apple //e and I found some great help (thanks AJ and HoJoPo) and AJ asked me to introduce myself.

I'm an inveterate programmer and have been at it for about 50 years (give or take). Sometimes as a hobby and sometimes as an occupation. Recently retired from a career in Epidemiology (at Univ of Manitoba, Canada) and now taking up an old passion. I've started a software company to market some of my products (it's still ramping up) and have plans to launch an online programming course (for those who just can't stay away) focused primarily on mobile app development (Apple primarily). Hoping to launch that in early 2023. It keeps me busy.

I do have a vintage collection of sorts. I have an Apple //e (65C02 chip, debuted in 1986) with 128 KB of memory running in emulation on my very new 2021 MacBook Pro (M1). It was the need for the Apple Pascal system disks for the //e that brought me here. I also have a circa 1986 Macintosh Plus with 4 MB of internal memory, and copious amounts of external memory (currently using 4MB virtual floppy drives in it), also running in emulation mode. Finally I have a Macintosh II emulation which needs a boot ROM and I'm on the hunt for one of those.

To round out the hardware collection I have 3 MacBook Pro's: a 2015 with 128GB of external storage, a 2017 with 256GB of external and a 2021 with 1 Terabyte of external storage, several Western Digital external drives (two at 2 Terabyte), 2 iPhones a 6S with 32GB of storage and a 12 with 64 GB of storage, and 2019 iPad with 64 GB of storage (used primarily as a 2nd screen for my M1 MacBook). And I am reading a book first published in 1984 called Advanced Pascal Programming Techniques by Paul Sand. I first read it back in 1984 and immediately fell in love with it. It was a book that walked you through the whole process of writing your own spreadsheet/VisiCalc program. I learned tricks and techniques in that book I still use to this day, and I think I will have fun revisiting it on the Apple //e.

PS love this forum software (Xenforo) especially since 1/2 way through writing this I lost track of the message... literally could not find it and then somehow reconnected and found a button that said I had an unsent draft saved, did I want to restart it (I'm paraphrasing... but I was SO impressed. I've never see that in forum software before). I will investigate it further as I mentioned I was planning an online course and was looking for good forum software for students to hang out in and support one another. Thanks for having me. :)

Mark

Welcome to VCFED Mark. It's good you have found us.

You can add your location to your profile so we know where you are located for future reference.

>>> PS love this forum software (Xenforo).

There is a WHOLE story behind that small statement :), but yes, it is pretty nice forum now. A lot of effort was put in to make it what it is today - a very good and usable platform.

There are some lovely features that you will have access to when you get past the 10 posts or so. I love 'direct mail'. You can start a 'chat' off the forum and invite other people to the chat 'as and when' and they have access to the 'chat history' so they can catch up with the discussion.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave,

I appreciate the welcome. I am really feeling an affinity for the folks I have met here and hope it continues. There is definitely a heart for the nostalgic that beats in me (partly authenticated by the fact that I own a 1974 left had drive MG Midget... a real beauty to drive on a warm sunny day with the top down). As for where I am located, it's currently London, UK. but I often feel a disengaged traveller of the planet. I grew up in Toronto, migrated to Montreal for undergrad and grad school, relocated again to the east coast, small town of Halifax Nova Scotia to raise my own family and then poof, was off to London in retirement. It's been an interesting journey. I imagine the forums here are pretty global in nature, but that is just a naive assumption at present. Since I have received so much help here in just a few days, I do hope to he able to contribute back in some way.

All the best,
Mark

Last edited:
We have quite a few people from Canada on VCFED. Yes, we are quite global...

Ah, the MG Midget...

We had a talk about "Bridget the Midget" once (http://www.bridgetthemidget.co.uk/about/). She went around the globe in a single run... A most interesting and entertaining talk if you get chance to attend.

Just be careful about the search term though - there is another "Bridget the Midget" website that has nothing to do with cars!

Dave

We have quite a few people from Canada on VCFED. Yes, we are quite global...

Ah, the MG Midget...

We had a talk about "Bridget the Midget" once (http://www.bridgetthemidget.co.uk/about/). She went around the globe in a single run... A most interesting and entertaining talk if you get chance to attend.

Just be careful about the search term though - there is another "Bridget the Midget" website that has nothing to do with cars!

Dave
Thanks Dave, I will check it out. I was less creative and named mine "Midge". Here's a photo of the two of us...

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_5741.JPG
    IMG_5741.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
Welcome @marksmithhfx !

I have a left hand drive GMC pickup truck. It's great! (Just joking - having a little fun with ya'll accross the pond)

I do remember fondly whacking my hand on the door of the rental car when touring in Ireland. Always loved the MG's. I bet she's a beauty.

I think you'll find this a very nice place to pursue your hobby or get tips on old software or hardware. I know I've learned a lot from the folks here at VCFED Forums.

Seaken

Back