• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Toy

Blackcube

Experienced Member
I picked up the latest resident of "The Texas State Home for Orphaned and Wayward Computers" on Friday. I bought a full 96" glass door rack with two Sgi Origin 200 Gigachannel dual 180mhz processor chassis, a XIO/PCI expansion chassis aka XBOX, a spare Origin 200 and four Andataco RAID cabinets fully populated with 9, 18 and 36gb SCSI drives. It was complete with all Craylink cables, SCSI cables, terminal cables, drives, OS disks, spare parts and docs. With the Craylink cables, two dual processor servers can be combined into a quad-processor system.

It took a mini-van and a pickup to haul it back to my apartment's garage. Now I finally can get my ftp site off the Winblows box and on a proper Unix host. I can also Craylink the third O200 to my existing O200 that hosts my site and make it a quad-processor system.

Wow !! I could only dream of having such a system.

I noticed on your Wants page something that intrigued me.
"CP/M software for Kaypro 2 (runs on my C128D)"

Did you have to do anything special to run it on the 128D ?

I have a mint portfolio of Pied Piper's Perfect Software (ca. 82/83) that I've been planning on putting up on Ebay, but before I do, I plan on copying the 4"virgin"disks. It allows back-up. Hopefully there is no bit-rot.

From the manual it claims it can be used on any PC. There are some "preconfigurations" but it has an initial program to configure for the computer used.

The "preconfigured terminals" include Kaypro, Apple, Vector, Televideo, IBM PC, Osborne, Heath-Zenith,Columbia, Seattle Computer, GE Intersel,Northstar Advantage, TRS model 2 w\Pickles and Trout and others.

On reading more of the manuals my collector greed factor cut-in and I won't likely be selling it. :^) But I will be copying the disks at some point.
Hopefully soon, and will see if I can transport you copies with Teleterm or with some raw dump program.

Don't know if that's legal, but after 23 years I consider it "abandon-ware"

Lawrence

Micom 2000 said:
Wow !! I could only dream of having such a system.

I noticed on your Wants page something that intrigued me.
"CP/M software for Kaypro 2 (runs on my C128D)"

Did you have to do anything special to run it on the 128D ?

I have a mint portfolio of Pied Piper's Perfect Software (ca. 82/83) that I've been planning on putting up on Ebay, but before I do, I plan on copying the 4"virgin"disks. It allows back-up. Hopefully there is no bit-rot.

From the manual it claims it can be used on any PC. There are some "preconfigurations" but it has an initial program to configure for the computer used.

The "preconfigured terminals" include Kaypro, Apple, Vector, Televideo, IBM PC, Osborne, Heath-Zenith,Columbia, Seattle Computer, GE Intersel,Northstar Advantage, TRS model 2 w\Pickles and Trout and others.

On reading more of the manuals my collector greed factor cut-in and I won't likely be selling it. :^) But I will be copying the disks at some point.
Hopefully soon, and will see if I can transport you copies with Teleterm or with some raw dump program.

Don't know if that's legal, but after 23 years I consider it "abandon-ware"

Lawrence

No the C128D reads Kaypro formatted disks and runs software that runs on a Kaypro2 with no modification. It's really a pretty cool system. I actually have never had it in C64 or 128 mode since I only run CP/M.

If you can get me an image, I'd really appreciate it. i can also host the images on my ftp site if you would permit...or keep it private - what ever you think best.

So, have you ever actually run Kaypro software on the C=128 (or have documentation to that effect)? There was some discussion on comp.os.cpm last year, but the issue was never really settled conclusively. Some posters claimed that the 128 could run Kaypro software, and others were of the opinion that it would read K-II formatted disks, but not necessarily run the same software. Unfortunately, nobody who had actually run the Kaypro software ever came forward at that time.

--T

Terry Yager said:
So, have you ever actually run Kaypro software on the C=128 (or have documentation to that effect)? There was some discussion on comp.os.cpm last year, but the issue was never really settled conclusively. Some posters claimed that the 128 could run Kaypro software, and others were of the opinion that it would read K-II formatted disks, but not necessarily run the same software. Unfortunately, nobody who had actually run the Kaypro software ever came forward at that time.

--T

No it runs Kaypro software. Specifically, I have WordStar and dBaseII that states on the boxes that it's for a Kaypro II.

Back