• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Version (2.2) of Macintosh SCELBI/8008 Emulator Available

Source code? The interface seems simple enough that it could be ported to Power Macs/earlier versions of OS X.

I've already shared much of the core code - the 8008 engine, cassette input and output code. Links can be found in various blog posts. If you have some ideas for improvements of the OS/X version, contact me off list and I'd consider sharing the OS/X application source. I think that going back to older versions of OS/X wouldn't be a huge effort, but I just haven't seen much interest in that, at least until now.

regards,
Mike Willegal

I look forward to see how you will add teletype sounds to the emulator.
Bill,

I have the teletype sounds working, and I think it's a pretty nifty addition. I need to clean up quite a number of rough edges before releasing an update, but it's coming.

I have the idea of a port to Apple IOS in mind, but don't expect that to happen until I get the OS/X version on a pretty solid footing.

regards,
Mike W.

I had some time over the holiday break and have just posted version 2.7 of this application.

I think this version has some significant improvements that bring operation, look and feel to a new level. Besides incorporating some support for teletype (thanks to Bill), front panel and cassette “sounds”, a help system has been added that should provide enough support for even a novice to be able to boot a SCELBI to the MEA monitor prompt.

Check it out at http://www.willegal.net/scelbi/scelbiapp.html

If you like what you see, let me know. If you have ideas for more improvements or discover issues, input is always welcome.

regards,
Mike Willegal

I've already shared much of the core code - the 8008 engine, cassette input and output code. Links can be found in various blog posts. If you have some ideas for improvements of the OS/X version, contact me off list and I'd consider sharing the OS/X application source. I think that going back to older versions of OS/X wouldn't be a huge effort, but I just haven't seen much interest in that, at least until now.

The only idea I have is porting it to 10.4. Obviously I'd do this, not you, so if you do post source, please advise.

Version 2.7 of my 8008/SCELBI app is now available from the Apple App store for $4.99. Though this same version is available as a free download from my web site, I was concerned about Apple's policies regarding allowable apps, so I decided to see if they would accept it, before embarking on an Apple IOS port of this application. I figure the fact that they accepted it for OS/X means that there is a fair chance that they might accept an IOS version, so I've started on a new port to IOS. I had previously done a partial port to IOS, but the application has had so many improvements since then, that I decided to start over.

regards,
Mike Willegal

Back