• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Newton messagepad 120

vic user

Veteran Member
Someone at work gave me their 120, along with the power adapter, 2 battery packs and a charger and the newton manual.

batteries charged up too!

i have to change to backup battery, and wanted to check with you guys before removing all the batteries.

i want to get rid of the previous user's info in one go, so i thought by removing all the batteries, that this should do the trick.

i tried the "hold down the on/off switch while pressing the reset button" to get rid of any info on the messagepad, but it did not work. i tried it several times..

Will complete removal of all batteries affect the newton from booting up properly?

i am assuming that the newton's OS is in ROM, and thus should not be affected by no power whatsoever.

this messagepad has OS 2.0 on it, and i am unsure if the messagepad 120 came with it, or the previous user upgraded to 2.0.

how did one upgrade to 2.0? did they have to replace a ROM chip?

any advice will be greatly appreciated

chris

yes, it is cool!

i was actually not the first person to be offered it, and by coincidence i was talking to the person who was first offered it, and he just came out and asked me if i wanted a newton that someone wanted to get rid of, as he did not want it.

i am getting the hang of it, and have now removed all traces of the former owner :)

i love that you can rotate the display, and the interface, imo, is well designed.

easy to use with my printer too!

i am finding it hard to get it away from my daughter though, as i showed her all the different ways you can do text and draw, and now it has become her travelling doodle pad :)

chris

I have the same problem with my Agnes machine. Everyone who touches her falls in love with the Windows Paint program. I think I'm the only one who's interested in the handwriting recognition tho. (But she doesn't fit in a pocket, either).

--T

Hee,hee. You guys should dig through some of the stuff they etch on motherboards and drive controller boards.

Just look at Amiga stuff. I actually thought 'Agnes' was an Amiga chip, it just sounded so 'Amiga'

With regards to the PDA:
Removing all power sources is safe. OS is in ROM. Afer everything has drained, you should get the usual new user routine.

Vic-user, you've got it.
Rule #1:
Whenever offered free hardware, take it.
Rule #2:
This, obviously, is an implied extension of rule 1.
If you are offered a piece of hardware you're not acquainted with, if p ossible, grab, if asked to fix, give it your best shot, chances are, you'll probably inherit anyway since no one will want to pay the time it took you to figure out what the heck it was in the first place.

patscc

Actually, "Fat Agnus" is an Amiga chip, but with the masculine spelling. Someone pointed out awhile back, that the Amiga's chips were supposedly named after the design team's wives/girlfriends, but nobody seems to know how Fat Agnus ended up in there.

--T

I knew it sounded familar, couldn't quite place it.

Well, gee, would you fess up to 'Fat Agnuss" ? I've got a note somewhere on naming conventions of Amiga motherboards and the ASIC's, if I ever find it, I'll post it.
If anyone else has it, please post it.
patscc

I dunno, my sister's name was always "Fat Carol". Everybody in town knew her by that name, and she didn't seem to mind. She really ate up the publicity there at the last.

--T

Back