• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

No In-Game CD Audio

fsmith2003

Experienced Member
I have recently built an older Win95 computer. Its has a Crystal Audio Card in it. Everything works fine except there is a CD Audio issue that I can not figure out. I do have the CD audio cable coming from the back of the CD drive into the sound card. All the drivers are setup and the CD volume is up on the volume control. If I insert a game with CD audio (Quake 1 in this case) I can open the CD in the Windows CD Player program and hear it all just fine. I even unplugged the CD audio cable while playing to confirm the audio stopped when doing so and it did. The only problem is that whenever I try to play any game that includes CD audio it will not play those tracks. It says it detects the CD tracks and everything. Just no CD audio output whatsoever while in game.

Is there anything I am forgetting to check in some setting somewhere? This one has baffled me!

Does the CD-ROM drive show any activity while playing the game? An example is Quake should be accessing the CD during game play to play the level music.

You can try faffing about with these commands in the console to see if it's a setting causing the issue

Code:
Sound options:
ambient_level - Default value is 0.3. Lowering this decreases the volume of ambient sounds.
bgmvolume - default is 1.0, setting this lower causes the volume of the music to decrease. 0 is muted.
cd on - Turns on music system after using cd off command. Note that music will not start playing again until a track is requested.
cd off - Shuts off music system.
cd info - States the currently playing track, the number of tracks on the CD, and the volume.
cd loop - Similar to cd play, this loops the specified track so that it will continue playing until stopped or changed.
cd play - Plays a specified track (by track number).
cd reset - Restarts music
cd stop - Stops a track.
nosound - setting this to 1 eliminates all sounds besides ambient noises.
snd_show - setting this to 1 causes the number of sounds being played to be displayed and updated constantly.
soundinfo - Various information about sound is displayed including if a stereo output is being used, information about the samples, the playback speed, and the address for the DMA buffer which is used to bypass the CPU for real-time applications.
volume - raising this value to 1 will put the game at maximum volume, lowering this value to be between 0 and 1 will lower the volume, whilst 0 will mute the game.

Perhaps it's stuck looking for a digital audio feed and the CD drive doesn't support that?
I know early on the CD audio cable was the only way to pipe audio to the sound card but I seem to recall later on the digital audio feed was piped over the ribbon cable from the CD drive and fed into the sound card through the bus.

Back