• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Not Working Coco 2

Jmdlcar

Banned
If I get a not working coco2 do you think it can be fixed? I know the coco 3 has GIME chip and you can't get them. So what do you think?

If you have a not working Coco 2, look for a manky-but-working one on eBay - they come up all the time and should not set you back more than about $25

So I take it they can't be fixed. but I never seen any for $25.

Last edited:
Why I ask that question was I can't fine one in my price range so I was going to fine one that didn't work and try and fix it.

I would not say that a CoCo 2, or nearly any other computer for that matter, can't be fixed. I think that what Ian was suggesting was that working ones are common and cheap enough that any of the components can be found. Even if a not-working one happens to be not-working because something that you would not find as a new replacement part is bad, such as a blown transformer or a bad keyboard or a bad ROM, you could still easily find another ugly but working computer to serve as a parts donor. Most of the electronics in a CoCo 2 were off-the-shelf parts that were also used in a lot of other things, so they're not going to be as hard to find as a custom-designed part like the CoCo 3's GIME would be.

Money is my problem or my wife. She won't let by anything that cost more then $20. I only live on $1000 a month and I have pay my bill and eat. I do have money left over but she smoke that why she let me buy anything.

Where do you live?

I have some Coco 2's here. You can have one if you want to come get it. But, I'm not sure I can ship it to you for under $20.00...

They are all working, BTW. Then you can put you $20.00 towards a cassette cable and a tape recorder for it.

Where do you live?

I have some Coco 2's here. You can have one if you want to come get it. But, I'm not sure I can ship it to you for under $20.00...

They are all working, BTW. Then you can put you $20.00 towards a cassette cable and a tape recorder for it.
I wish I seen this but I still might need one if the one I just bought doesn't work but I just order this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Clean...JobZGWt7cy08tGxTnL842JFTEbs%3D&orig_cvip=true Someone lone me the money.

I forgot but I look at the listing and I saw there was no way to hook it up to the TV so what type plug is in the back of the Coco? So what will I need?

The model of the Coco 2 is 26-3027 so I will need to upgrade it to 64k so I will need to fine 8 4164 - 150 memory chips.

I feel like I am going back to the 1980 again.

The plug on the back of the CoCo is an RCA phono jack, and it originally connected to the VHF antenna input of a television using a little switch box that came with the computer. The switch box stuck on the back of the TV and connected to its antenna screw terminals, and then a cable with an RCA phono plug at each end connected between the CoCo and the switch box.

This is a picture of a Coleco Adam, but it's the same kind of switch box and cable that the Color Computer used:

F0M8YI1I0A59KHT.LARGE.jpg

The plug on the back of the CoCo is an RCA phono jack, and it originally connected to the VHF antenna input of a television using a little switch box that came with the computer. The switch box stuck on the back of the TV and connected to its antenna screw terminals, and then a cable with an RCA phono plug at each end connected between the CoCo and the switch box.
They don't have switch box and my TV is a Samsung LED and it only has hdmi, rgb and cable connector. So I won't have no way to test it when I get it.

If I was smarter, I'd think of everything I wanted to say before I clicked "post".

You don't really need that switch box unless you have a TV that's so old that it just has screw terminals for the VHF antenna input. You do need a TV that can tune to the old analog TV channels, but most of those have had coaxial antenna inputs for the last few decades. If you already have a TV that's old enough to remember how to receive the old analog TV channels, then show us what you have and we'll figure out the cheapest way to get you hooked up to your new CoCo 2.

They don't have switch box and my TV is a Samsung LED and it only has hdmi, rgb and cable connector. So I won't have no way to test it when I get it.

I was typing up my previous reply while you posted that. Ok, can your Samsung TV still receive the old analog TV channels? If it can, you may be able to hook the CoCo up to its cable connector. If not, then we'll need to think of something else. If all else fails, find a $5 CRT television at a garage sale!

When I get it I will hook a cable wire to the TV and put it on ch3 or ch4 and fine away to hook it up to the Coco. Up to 2 month ago I could watch TV with just the cable wire and then they change it now I need a cable box and I hate that.

When I get it I will hook a cable wire to the TV and put it on ch3 or ch4 and fine away to hook it up to the Coco. Up to 2 month ago I could watch TV with just the cable wire and then they change it now I need a cable box and I hate that.

If you tell me the model number of your TV, I'll try to look up its specifications to see if it can receive analog TV stations. I don't know if new TVs can still do that, since the US switched over to digital TV back in 2009. I don't have a modern TV, so I'm not up to speed on whether current TV models can still receive an analog signal like the CoCo uses. But don't worry... one way or another, we'll find a way for you to have fun with your new CoCo 2.

I know up to 2 month ago the cable was analog TV and now cable switch to digital TV that why I had to get cable bow so I think it should work if not I will get back. One more question do they make a RCA plug and the other end cable connector?

Thanks everyone that help me with this problem but I will need help finding the memory chips when I do the memory upgrade.

One more question do they make a RCA plug and the other end cable connector?

I think it would be easier and cheaper to get an adapter like this one for the CoCo end:

https://www.amazon.com/Conwork-6-Pack-Coaxial-Adapter-Connector/dp/B01DRQF8RS

and then use an ordinary coaxial TV antenna cable (with a male Type-F connector at each end). You probably already have a cable like that sitting around. You can probably find a cheaper option than that 6-pack of adapters. I just did a lazy Amazon search since I'm not the one buying it. :)

Back