• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NTP Server Question

Stone

10k Member
I just noticed that Mike's 'sntp -set pool.ntp.org' command isn't getting the hour right for DST. It's still setting my clock(s) for Standard Time.

I had to set my timezone statement an hour farther east in order to get the correct time set.

Read the documentation ...

The Daylight Savings Time rules changed a few years ago, long after the Watcom compiler runtime was last touched. You need to write a custom TZ environment variable now to make it work correctly with the current rules.

I am using "set TZ=PST8PDT7,M3.2.0/02:00:00,M11.1.0/02:00:00"

That translates to "PST is 8 hours off of GMT, PDT is only 7, switch in the 3 month first day and 11th month, first day at 2am.

Perfect... thanks.

Needless to say it was all the other time sites as well, Google, etc., since my TZ variable was incorrectly set.

Hoping the next time they change the DST they just get rid of it altogether, the last time they changed it by a few weeks was really not worth it. It's a case of the majority having to suffer for the minority. :)

I don't care about light vs dark when a certain digit is displayed on a clock. Time is just a number... but it should be a year long const.

Really?

Where you live it would still be dark at 9:30am on Xmas morning ...and for one month before and after as well. :)

What's wrong with that? You prefer it being dark at 4:00 in the afternoon? In any case, you're an hour off. Sunrise here is around 7:30 on Christmas, without DST.

Really I'd prefer the whole world use UTC. But "DST" year round is the best compromise we're going to get, I think.

There was a reason for that one--the OPEC oil embargo--energy conservation.

Not an oil embargo, but thats the reason they changed it again a few years back... energy conservation reasons. Too bad there is no way to do some real numbers on the cost of changing to and from DST every year.. Theres the easy 'heres what we spend on energy before and after' but there are all the other costs you can't really calculate, the personal toll it takes on people as well as some of the other numbers they throw around including increase in accidents, missed or late work days, etc.

Sure, it's a #firstworldproblem but I honestly never run across anyone who likes switching the time every 6 months... most people are opposed to it or they're indifferent, but I don't think i've run into anyone who thinks we need it anymore. Yet, people somewhere do keep voting to keep it.

As someone mentioned earlier, I also don't care which time we stick to (DST or not), i just think it's crazy to switch every six months. Maybe I just need to retire to Arizona. :)

Maybe I just need to retire to Arizona. :)
I'm going to Hawaii where I spent four years in the 80s when it's time to retire.

11½ to 12½ hour days year around.

No DST there, either.

No winter, unless you want to drive up the mountain to visit it.

I used to live in the northwest corner of Indiana, back when Indiana had standard time only, while the Chicago area used DST. By law, public displays of the time (banks, schools, etc.) had to be in standard time, but everyone functioned using DST. So owners of those public clocks usually affixed signs to the effect that "This is not the real time. Subtract one hour for the time everyone uses."

But this was Indiana, the home of the Pi=4.0 attempted legislation.

Back