• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Oasis Operating System for Z-80

natcha

Experienced Member
The other day, I was discussing old computers with a friend. He was telling me about the Oasis multi-user operating system that he used to run on a Z-80 system. Sounded very interesting - I had never heard of it before.

I did a search on the Web and came across some manuals for it on BitSavers, but really didn't find much more info. I see that it was turned into Theos, but their web page requires a log-in to really view much.

Is anyone here familiar with it?

I would love to try running it in an emulator, just to see what it's all about. But I couldn't find any files on-line either.

I would appreciate any info anyone may have.

Thanks,

Bill
Smithville, NJ

Hi All;

Bill, Digital Group used to have Oasis and Convers.. I had a tape of each, but because of not having the correct boot prom, I never had either one working..
I no longer have either tapes..

THANK YOU Marty

I have two disk images of an Oasis implementation for Vector Graphic hardware. I also have a good deal of working VG hardware, so I planned on trying to get Oasis running one day, but haven't started digging into to what it will require yet.

Mike

I recall OASIS being the OS behind an early multi-user newsroom editorial system called Basys that was used in a few European newsrooms including BBC in the early 80s. A kind of primitive client-server network, as I recall. Star network configuration carrying fixed-length pages between clients and servers. I was on an evaluation group that concluded it would soon be made obsolete by the packet-switched networks that were just being developed at that time.

Rick

I have two disk images of an Oasis implementation for Vector Graphic hardware. I also have a good deal of working VG hardware, so I planned on trying to get Oasis running one day, but haven't started digging into to what it will require yet.

Mike

Mike.

I wonder if your images would run on the SIMH VG emulator? Would be fun to give it a try.

Thanks,

Bill
Smithville, NJ

Back