Obscure Music - even thought it's hit based

"carlsson" wrote:

> I wonder, does any group label themselves as 'fusion metal' or
> maybe 'black death soul'?

I remember a clip from one of the early music shows which did had some
guy (insert name here if you know) do an interview with a early Pink
Floyd - with Sid Barrett at the helm. The interviewer couldn't get over
how "loud" they were & Barrett explained that they like to sound loud -
would that make them a "loud" rock band I wonder?!? ;-)

Another interesting character is the young Jimmy Page. He sounds like a
nice fella - yet he blazes his Guitar away!
Kinda reminds me of Alice Cooper. It's a bit strange seeing this - cause
then you go to other heavy metal people like Ozzy Osbourne who are just
the complete opposite!

CP/M User.

I've never heard any pre-Led Zepplin Page, but I am familliar with his post-LZ solo work. (I always thought he was a better gitaurist than Plant, but some of my friends used to disagree, which was the basis of many a (stoned) discussion in the wee hours).

--T

Clapton Rules all!!!!!

Clapton Rules all!!!!!

Saw Tull and Joplin in concert , I duh! think it was around 1970. But the warm-up band was really good Black Sabbath.

Re: Clapton Rules all!!!!!

Re: Clapton Rules all!!!!!

ribbets said:
Saw Tull and Joplin in concert , I duh! think it was around 1970. But the warm-up band was really good Black Sabbath.

Never had the pleasure, but I did meet JJ at a party in Ann Arbor, MI, around 1969. I didn't get to shake her hand, as her hands were otherwise occupied. She was holding a bottle of Jose Quervo in her right, and a bag full of lemons in the left. The party, BTW, was to celebrate the release of Brownsville Station's (guests of honor) first single. I don't recall the song right now, but it was before Smokin' in the Boy's Room. I used to get invited to a lot of such parties during my mis-spent youth, mainly because I had a good connection to some good micro-dot acid. (The chemist's (alchemist?) baby brother was one of my best friends). I could get quantites of ten-thousand for around 10 cents a hit, so I was rather popular back then.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> I've never heard any pre-Led Zepplin Page, but I am familliar with his
> post-LZ solo work. (I always thought he was a better gitaurist than
> Plant, but some of my friends used to disagree, which was the basis of
> many a (stoned) discussion in the wee hours).

Two bits of pre-Zepplin Page stuff I've got comes in the form of my
Crispian St. Peters album - "Follow Me (The Pied Piper)". His work on this
album is limited to the extent that he was used on one of the sessions.
The track I believe he is featured on is "Jilly Honey" which has a small
Guitar solo which seems to sound Page (there were another 5 guitar
players - including "St. Peters" himself, so it looks stickly stuck to the
sessions they performed in). Of course if anyone else remembers "St.
Peters" he'll only perhaps be remembered for the hits he had with "You
were on my Mind", "The Pied Piper" & "Changes" (not sure how big a
hit "Changes" was, but it's a fascinating track & I've definitely heard the
song being played here on radio - though it might of been a big hit here).

Page really got moving when he was with "The Yardbirds" which was also
in 1966. If anyone here has The Yardbirds - Roger The engineer (over
under sideways down) album with some bonus - one of them includes an
impressive "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" (which I think was featured
in the movie "Blow Up" - with David Hemmings), this song features Page
on Guitar and my album also has the B-Side to it "Psycho Daisies" which,
again includes Page. I've also got some Page stuff on the BBC Sessions
of the Yardbirds, which is quite impressive.

Do you read or hear 'bout when the Yardbirds broke up in the middle of
some tour (Scandinavia I think) in July 1968, Page was left with the group
name, some contracts to fulfil & some gigs to perform (in Scandinavia) -
so Page got a band quickly together (incl. Plant) & performed as "The
New Yardbirds". This was shall I say how Led Zeppelin started. I think
some of that "New Yardbirds" material might be interesting to get a hold
of - should look to see if there's any albums.

CP/M User.

It is a prize invented by Stikkan Andersson of Polar Music (Sweden), the record company who made all of ABBA's records among other. Since 1992, they award two prizes per year; one to a classic performer and one to a popular music performer.

To be exact, it is the 2006 prize that Led Zeppelin (along with Russian conductor Valerij Gergiev) was awarded. The amount is one million Swedish crowns, about US$130,000 and the ceremony is on May 15th next year.

Previous winners include names like Paul McCartney, Dizzy Gillespie, Quincy Jones, Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, Ray Charles, Ravi Shankar, Stevie Wonder, Bob Dylan, Burt Bacharach, Robert Moog, Karl-Heinz Stockhausen and Miriam Makeba, to mention the best known ones. It is by the way the first time a group has been awarded the prize.

"carlsson" wrote:

> To be exact, it is the 2006 prize that Led Zeppelin (along with Russian
> conductor Valerij Gergiev) was awarded. The amount is one million
> Swedish crowns, about US$130,000 and the ceremony is on May 15th
> next year.

> It is by the way the first time a group has been awarded the prize.

So does each performer from Led Zeppelin collect $130,000 US each, or do they have to share it amonst them (I'd imagine the later).

Be nice if it was US$130,000 for Page, US$130,000 for Plant, etc etc! ;-) They might prefer the ol' "£" instead!

CP/M User.

They have to share the amount, or play poker about it.

By the way, I searched music resellers on Internet if there exists any arrangements of Led Zeppelin (mainly Stairway to Heaven) for concert band (wind orchestra). I didn't find any, except one Australian arranger who offered big band arrangements.

Then I begun looking for MIDI files to possibly use as a basis for an own arrangement (I do this in small scale as a hobby). I found several different sequenced versions, including the one on this site:

http://www.gtweb.org/media/toc.media.html

It is the first time I hear a MIDI file recorded as if it was live, with slight delays between notes, a few wrong notes here and there and so on. Rather charming, but unexpected.

A few years ago I bought a bunch of LPs at a store who have a permanent sale on many of their LPs. Dunno where they get them from though. Most are in very good shape, A++ to use eBay language. Some of the records I haven't yet even played.

Tonight I brought out one album by The Association: Stop Your Motor (1971). It turns out this was one of the (big??) folk rock bands, and it was their last record.

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/review.php?ID=1309
http://www.mp3.com/albums/23635/reviews.html
http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=CCM03852
http://store.milesofmusic.com/Compact_Discs/A/Association/Page_1/28845_____CD.html

and so on. Rather OK so far, although I prefer a little more horn rock style a'la BST and later Chicago, or my personal favourites The Ides of March (also from Chicago), which happened to be on Warner Bros in the early 1970'ties like the Association, one of the reasons I picked in my pack of "buy ten, pay for one".

Blood, Sweat & Tears and Chicago are both great examples of "Chicago-Style Blues" which seems to have a heavy emphasis on the horn section. (My own personal preference is more along the lines of "Memphis Style" (Beale Street Blues)).

--T

Yes, BTW, I have done there, been that, of the whole "Highway 41" thang. You start out on Nw'awlins, and end up in Chi-Town, stopping at every joint along the way, especially St. Louis, Memphis, etc...
(Not to be confused with the "Duval Crawl, which takes place on Duval Street in Key West, Fla.).

--T

Travelers Guide by The Association said:
A green back dollar no' (?) is lighter than a pound,
but in London it'll buy anything around.
Now anything in London and Stockholm too,
but if you don't watch out, you know it's gonna buy you.

Either I don't understand the lyrics completely, or it seems these guys were not entirely familiar with the monetary systems used in Europe. I get the feeling that neither USD nor GBP were common currencies in Sweden around 1970-71. But cute to hear a reference to somewhere close to me.

"carlsson" wrote:

> Tonight I brought out one album by The Association: Stop Your Motor
> (1971). It turns out this was one of the (big??) folk rock bands, and it
> was their last record.

Yes, I don't mind the Association - I think their a very poppy kinda group myself, but I do see some folk with their harmonies - but their beat suggests something else. I've only heard a couple of their hit songs - so perhaps this album has a change of rhythm for them (e.g. The Byrds were notorious, at first they had their Folk roots, then experimentation crept in with Psychelledic & even country - they even played around by fusing both of these together). If anyone is after a Byrds album which has a bit of everything in it, try listening to their "Younger than Yesturday" album. I think it's quite good - it's a bit of a pity it's missing Gene Clark though - one of the Jewels from the Byrds which left early, though he went on to do some great stuff with the Gosdin Brothers as well as The Dillard & Clark Expedition. The "Mind Gardens" track has to be one of the oddest tracks from the Byrds - found on their "Younger Than Yesturday", I usually flick past it (through the wonders of CD technology! ;-) the extended edition is made up for this by including some adding some wonderful tracks like "It's Happens each Day" & "Lady Friend" - also an early version (the B-side single to "Lady Friend") in "Old John Robinson", which was souped up & included on the "Notorious Byrd Brothers" album.

> and so on. Rather OK so far, although I prefer a little more horn rock
> style a'la BST and later Chicago, or my personal favourites The Ides of
> March (also from Chicago), which happened to be on Warner Bros in
> the early 1970'ties like the Association, one of the reasons I picked in
> my pack of "buy ten, pay for one".

Yeah, I don't mind BST & Chicago (Transit Authority) - but I by into all kinds of music. Personally I love the folky feel, but there are times where I need some change in music & these are part of the alternatives I've got when I need them! ;-)

CP/M User.

I think tonight I might put on a record with Laura Brannigan or even Kylie Minogue (which also were the ones I picked in the pack of random 10).

carlsson said:
No, yes and no in that order. It is the "Hold Me" album, with a cover of Forever Young.
I think I've got the greatest hits cassette..

Search for The Debbie Meyer Show sometime on the net and give it a listen

Back