• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Oddball Computers

richard

I have a collection of old Sinclair Computers/printer etc. but currently am looking to anyone for technical matters/discussions re formatting my video drives on my Amiga 4000/Newtek Toaster-Flyer system. Have been using it for 7 years, having to do the repairs myself for the last 5 yrs. Anybody know anything about this system? It works great for video production.. that is - when it's working properly. As to the Sinclair.. bought my first one in a kit-assembled and had it working in an hour. Would like to compare notes on that subject with anyone.. interested?
Rois Harder

I moved this topic to the Commodore forum to hopefully give it a bit more exposure.

I wish I could help but I just got my first Amiga a week ago and I really don't know enough about it yet. . .

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure someone who can help will respond soon!

Erik

I bought my Amiga 1200 pre-partitioned and installed, and never had the need to reformat it.. also, I don't know if the particular drive type is much different from a regular hard drive?

Exactly what is wrong with the drives, and what kind of drives are they?
I'm not real familiar with the 4000, video toaster, et al, but I may be able to help. I'm most familiar with the 3000, with WB 3.1
I've been using it, and some would say, abusing it, for about as long as you have. I've also done most of my own repairs/upgrades/etc.

Formatting the HD isnt much of a problem for me on my A1200 WB 3.0 and I havnt even had it for a year. Amiga's use SCSI drives mostly, the A1200 i have uses IDE notebook drives, and newer upgrade cards use EIDE drives I believe. Nothing special. There might be some software bugs like using drives bigger then 4gb on 3.0 roms on my a1200 will cause drive problems on WB 3.0. I dont have any experience with the video toaster, but most video capture gear of that era is tempermental (My Videovision Telecast system on my Powermac 8500 is tempermental sometimes too).

Hi Richard,

Here's a website filled with information you'll need :) it's called the Amiga 4000 hardware Guide. it should tell you alot about your 4000.

http://wonkity.com/~wblock/a4000hard/main.html

As for Video Toaster 4000 (which is what came with the 4000 when purchased with it) if it causes you problems you might want to try just changing the slot it's connected to. (move it down as close to the first slot as you can, the slots are addressed in sequence the first slot being the first addressed hence if you put a card there it will be detected and available first. that might do the trick. If you want more information on video toaster, go here, it's filled with good information :)

http://www.webworldinc.com/transdata/ti01004.htm

Hope this helps

By the way, my Amiga hard disk is malfunctioning from time to time: not identified, spins up but not booting, gives away metallic screeching noises etc. With the help of someone on a different forum, I bought myself a cheap 2.5" adapter, plugged the disk into my PC and managed a backup of the contents before it is too late.

I have not yet decided if I'll do anything useful with this backup, other then keep it. Maybe I'll take the opportunity to reorganize things, or install onto a larger 2.5" hard disk (that keeps constant noise) I have in the shelf. Possibly I will get the opportunity to try a format command. :wink:

Back