• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Okay I know its not exactly vintage, but its old,

supersPORT

well got my hands on another shipment of computer parts, And found in the box, a velo 1, 4mb, and I found the docking station too, but I have no idea about the software, Any idea's where i could find a cd for it, so i can use it for taking notes, and then put the notes on other computers?

well got my hands on another shipment of computer parts, And found in the box, a velo 1, 4mb, and I found the docking station too, but I have no idea about the software, Any idea's where i could find a cd for it, so i can use it for taking notes, and then put the notes on other computers?

The software (WinCE) is built in. If it isn't booting on it's own, it's (probably) broken. Could be as simple as the batteries (main and/or backup) are dead, or...??? Does it have an SRAM card installed? If so, that has another battery all it's own. What kind of interface does it have that you want to jack a CD into? There isn't much free software for WinCE 1.x, but a search should turn up whatever there is available. Here's as good a place as any to begin:

http://www.jasondunn.com/archive/velo/index2.htm

--T

Terry, I think he wants the Driver CD to sync it to his PC. The Velo can't interface to something like that itself. I have one around here some where but I dunno if its the same one or not. The OS is indeed in ROM so you're going to need batteries for it and if all the batteries are good and it doesn't boot, then something is wrong.

-VK

Terry, I think he wants the Driver CD to sync it to his PC. The Velo can't interface to something like that itself. I have one around here some where but I dunno if its the same one or not. The OS is indeed in ROM so you're going to need batteries for it and if all the batteries are good and it doesn't boot, then something is wrong.

-VK

Oh, that software. (I thought he was trying to hang a CD burner off a parallel port or sum'n). D/L the latest version of ActiveSync from MicroSoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/activesync/activesync45.mspx

You'll also need the null modem cable to communicate with the PC.

--T

Last edited:
Well, the downside to that is MS Active Sync wants the latest and greatest of everything, so it may no longer work. I'll try to track down mine and see what version I have and all that, my CD might work.

-VK

Last edited:
It appears that 4.5 is the latest version, and it worked fine with the last v.1.0 machine I used it with (it's "backwards compatible" (yeah, right)). If anything, I'm wary of trying it on any newer computer, as I did have a spot of bother trying to get one of my computers to see the handheld running WinCE 2.12, but switching it over to another laptop worked just fine. OTOH, the only 2.11 machine I have left has never had a problem working with anything else running the current ActiveSync version. I s'poze the only thing is to try it, with the caveat YMMV (it's M$ after all)...

--T

Last edited:
Well, if the fact the device is rather old makes the new Activesync angered, I have a Windows 95 activesync disc that works with Windows XP as well. I would be more than happy to make a copy for a member on the forum.

--Ryan

The early devices came with a different transfer software, but I can't recall the name right now. I do know that if you login to MS website and search for that name, it dumps you into the ActiveSync d/l page, so apparently, MS doesn't offer it for d/l anymore. You might find it on an 'old versions' webpage somewhere (if I could only remember the name).

--T

Afriend of mine dowloaded a disk from somewhere and now it works with my computer, and i have my own walpaper on my velo, its sound doesn't work, but thats not important, I now have a tiny computer in my pocket, now is there anyway, to put some games on it?

Back