• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

old tape drives.

OK, yeah, the drives I have look nothing like those. Those drives are very old vacuum column type drives - mainframe type. There would be a separate tape controller unit box that controls those - and is again the size of the drive. It is going to be quite difficult to find one. The drives I have are smaller ones, minicomputer type. Integrated interface boards, smaller. They still use the vacuum column air bearing type setup, but it's much smaller and hidden from view. They're rack mount units, the reels are one above the other, and are mostly hidden behind a plastic cover with a fairly small window - just enough to see the supply reel turning.

-Ian

Ian do you have a photo? Like I said this is the idea but sometimes beggars cant be choosers you know.

Those tape drives look like IBM 729's--common as dirt in the 1960s. Hens' teeth today--and most likely, museum pieces only. I haven't checked the specs, but I think about 700 lbs. each (even a little Fuji X2444 (much later) weighs about 200 lbs). Pretty much mainframe-only; minis used smaller drives.

Your best bet is a government surplus auction or scrap yard--or one of the private large collections.

Aren't there places where things like this can be hired by film companies when needed?
You might have an easier time if you can do that.

Might not a prop house have one in a warehouse somewhere? Or maybe you could have someone build a mock-up.

Edit: ya beat me to it ;-)

Might not a prop house have one in a warehouse somewhere? Or maybe you could have someone build a mock-up.

Edit: ya beat me to it ;-)

Most of those places rent short term I am looking long term 1 to 2 years. It is often cheaper to buy and ship the real thing. Plus the show I am working on want to have real historical items in the background. I could have it built but it would lack authenticity and detail and ends up costing more in the long run.

Chuck, thanks I have been in touch with one collector and I have only found one surplus store that might have them. If you know of any collectors that would be great.

Thanks

IBM 729 Tape Drive Replica Bookcase

IBM 729 Tape Drive Replica Bookcase

I sent paul an email and I haven't heard back yet

I'm building an IBM 729 tape drive replica for my living room with moving reels. The front swings open to reveal a bookcase inside. If anyone is interested I'll post some pix when its completed.

-Monta

I'm building an IBM 729 tape drive replica for my living room with moving reels. The front swings open to reveal a bookcase inside. If anyone is interested I'll post some pix when its completed.

-Monta
Definitely!! Cool project! A couple of heads, the guts from a cassette or reel-to-reel, and you can use it to load/save via the cassette port ;-)

Here is my IBM 729 Bookshelf.

I've very happy with it.
I began with (my first) sketch-up model and built if from there.

monta_ibm_729_build_front.jpg
monta_729_build_door_cracked.jpg
monta_729_build_inside.jpg

I built it with some additions in mind.
The tape reels are on bearing so I could automate them to spin "randomly".
I could add more of the tape read and feed mechinism and button/lights at the top.

Anybody have a spacre button set for the top? :)
(or good/easy ideas for "faking it"?)

-Monta Elkins

Last edited:
Monta,

That is awesome! Great job. You should build like 7 more of them and have a simulated 60's Data Center.

Would you know of any. i really want one. i mean i know its not going to be cheap. but if i could just find one for sell it would be a big help.i have many old tape drivers.like sony and panasonic tape drivers.i dont care about my grammar im just trying to find a show piece for my house.i love singing and i listen more songs on tape.

wrong kind of tape drive dude the ones your looking for are called a reel to reel
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Electronics-/14998/i.html?_sop=1&_nkw=reel+to+reel << try there

I would love a vacuum column type drives of any vintage or condition to use with a pdp8 straight 8, I live in the UK about 1h from london, what would be a good way to find 1 or a few? I would prefer a large common type of tape drive needing work, even as a prop would be good and if more than one they do not need to match!
where would be good to look?

Back